Subject: RE: [egov] Groups - London Oasis E-gov conference added

Harm

The question of full participation in the e-Gov TC was a problem from day one given its very nature of being of global interest, and whilst it was reasonable to align European and USA time for meetings, it was clearly very difficult for members from the Far East and down under to participate, apart from Colin Wallis who used to phone in the middle of the night from NZ!  This was one of the reasons I attempted to get an Asia/Pacific branch established to ensure we got full input from colleagues in that part of the world.  Clearly for something like e-government it is essential to provide the opportunity for everyone to participate and the concept of regional sub-committees is something you might consider for the future.

I have to disagree with your assessment that our meetings did not work.  I alternated the meetings between Europe and USA and allowed dial-ins to each meeting, and I like to think that provided for successful meetings.  The fact that UK Government paid for all the teleconferencing is another matter, so you will need to find a sugar daddy to pay the bills.  I would suggest you have to allow teleconferencing to meetings otherwise you will not get the global input that is essential.  Relying on only F2F meetings will not work in my opinion.

If you would like me to raise again this issue of global participation in TC meetings with the OASIS Board please let me know.

Regards
John

-----Original Message-----
From: Harm-Jan van Burg [mailto:harmjan@vanburg.net]
Sent: 30 August 2005 20:48
To: 'Farrukh Najmi'; 'Rex Brooks'
Cc: Jon.Bosak@Sun.COM; egov@lists.oasis-open.org

This TC started almost two years ago with face to face meetings in a
extremely tight schedule. In later instances this TC had meetings with only
a few people in the room and the rest on the phone. Anyone can see that does
not work. In my opinion and I wrote that to the TC when I accepted the chair
it would be good if we have a minimum of ftf meetings and rely on telecoms
for the rest of the time.
In my experience it is necessary to work together in a face to face from
time to time. Most hosts for meetings regard setting up dial in facilities
during ftf extremely costly and it is frustrating for those who took the
time and the cost to travel to see that only a handful did come.

It is my aim to try to set up face to face meetings in a way that the time
spend is in balance with the travel time and cost. If meetings are planned
well in advance it is possible to limit the amount of money spend.

Because I am currently only chairing this TC, I have to abide by the TC
decision-making. I am trying to set up a telecom. Up till now no single
member of this TC has offered to set up the bridge. In my organisation we
don't have telecom facilities. So I have to rely on members.

In this telecom we can decide not to have the face to face meeting. I would
have liked to hear it after my mail about two months ago, but these things
happen.

I realise working in organisations like OASIS cost time and money, so mostly
it is not doable for true individuals, but at the other hand if we want to
influence anyone (any government, software company etc) it will take
efforts. I personally think there is a good business case for working on
standards. That is the reason that this work is difficult to do for any
individual I think.

Perhaps I am not doing the right thing for the committee lets talk about
that at next week telecom. Via Skype or whatever means I do not care

Harm Jan van Burg