Subject: Re: [egov] chair e-gov TC and next steps

   Needless to say, I agree entirely with Peter Brown and John
Borras, on the two points that each of them raised.

   First, we've very grateful to Harm Jan van Burg for assisting in
trying to frame the right approach.  Cooperation, and
standardization, are experiments by nature.  Not all experiments
result as originally planned.

   Second, as they both said, it's difficult to define a proper
strategy for this important but amorphous topic.  Several other
panels known to some of you have given this thought, and reached
similar conclusions.
   Viz., (a) there's something very important here; and (b) it's
very hard to encapsulate it in a project with a timeline, and bring
the right people to the table.

   Of course it is the opportunity for cooperation and good
communication that is paramount.  Committees (and OASIS, and any
other organization) only are useful to the degree that they
facilitate that cooperation.
   Based on some chats in the last few weeks, it seems that some
kind of continuing conversation is thought to be useful and
desirable.  But this would only be true if there are relatively low
barriers to engaging in it.
   There may be scoping problems, as John suggested, that require
examination.  Harm Jan raised the issue of whether one can
profitably  have such discussions with, or without, some of the
vendors to which he alluded.
   In addition to those questions, it's also been suggested that the
creation of a nontechnical discussion community may be a sensible
alternative approach.  As has been pointed out, OASIS recently has
done so in several cases.

   I suggest that we consider taking the following steps:
   (1) I will post a short description of such a facility, and
possible scoping issues, to this list.
   (2) At the request of 3 members, which I imagine is not an
obstacle,  we can initiate an open discussion list, to discuss a
possible plan forward, that is not limited to current OASIS members.
  That conversation may continue here as well.
   (3) In three weeks, let us see if the better course for this TC
(as a technical committee) is to declare it completed, and pursue a
different course.  As opposed to maintaining this committee as a TC
via election of a new chairperson.

   Views on the advisability of these suggestions would be most
welcome.

   Kind regards   Jamie Clark

~ James Bryce Clark
~ Director of Standards Development, OASIS
~ jamie.clark@oasis-open.org