Subject: Future eGovernment activites at OASIS; 18 April discussion meeting

   OASIS is working on the scope for the next phase of our
activities to support electronic government.  This work includes an
informal live discussion at our Symposium this coming week
(described below).  We look forward to your feedback and participation.
   As a standards consortium, OASIS works hard to make sure that its
programs and activities reflect the interests of our members, which
define our standards programs.  As public administration needs
evolve, from simple standards reviews to more complex requirements,
interoperability and implementation, member-driven activities at
OASIS will evolve in response.
   We've enjoyed the benefit of an active e-Government TC with wide
participation.  (And our gratitude to John Borras, Harm-Jan van Burg
and their respective governments for their leadership.)  Since 2002,
the e-Gov TC conducted several useful studies of the suitability of
available data standards.  These included some of the earliest
careful considerations of key OASIS standards by user
constituencies.  Several other standards organizations have modeled
activities on our e-Gov TC.
   Government users continue to participate in many key OASIS
projects:  but the types of collaboration needed have expanded.
OASIS members with public administration interests now distribute
themselves across multiple specific projects.  Based on recent
feedback, this community may be better served by a general
discussion forum, or several projects, than a single omnibus
"standards-writing" committee.  We will close the original
e-Government TC as a completed activity shortly.  Interested members
of this practice community have  discussed alternative formats for
ongoing information-sharing with each other, on this list, and with
my colleagues Dr. Carol Cosgrove-Sacks and Pim van der Eijk.  One
potential way to facilitate these future conversations is with an
OASIS member section.  A draft charter/scope document is being sent
to this list as a separate message, for your feedback and further
discussion.

   A group of our active e-Gov stakeholders will meet at our OASIS
Symposium in San Diego, beginning this Wednesday at 2:00 pm, to
discuss requirements and organizational alternatives.[1]  Pim and I
will join the encouragingly-large group already signed up for this
live discussion.  If you are unable to attend, we would still
appreciate the benefit of your views.  We will circulate a summary
of the San Diego discussion, after this list is closed, to all those
who advise us of their interest in our future plans.
   As always, thank you for your interest in and support of open
standards.
   Regards, JBC

~ James Bryce Clark
~ Director of Standards Development, OASIS
~ jamie.clark@oasis-open.org

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/egov/200703/msg00001.html,
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/egov/200703/msg00006.html