ekmi-comment message

Subject: Re: [ekmi-comment] Fwd: comments on SKSML spec

Ken,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Your attached e-mail submitted in July 2008 explains why we never
received it; you sent it to ekmi-comments-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
as opposed to ekmi-comments@lists.oasis-open.org.  Your current e-mail
was correctly addressed, which is why this is the first we're seeing it.

You make valid points in your comments.  We are aware that SOAP 1.2
supersedes SOAP 1.1.  However, not knowing the level of adoption of
SOAP 1.2, we deliberately stayed at SOAP 1.1 because we did not want
to exclude existing SOAP 1.1 implementations.

To the best of my knowledge, SOAP 1.2 is backwardly compatible with
SOAP 1.1; and given that we are not ready to vote SKSML into an OASIS
standard, your comments are not late.  Even though the public-comment
period for SKSML has expired, we will take your comment into
consideration and make a decision.  We can always issue an errata to
the specification and/or update the specification before we vote on
the standard.  If you have any supporting information showing the list
of SOAP 1.2 implementations, that would be helpful to our process.

WRT your comment on XKMS, this was addressed (to you) before the EKMI
TC was formed, as the following URL shows:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oasis-charter-discuss/email/archives/200611/msg00002.html

However, to reiterate, SKSML is focused on provisioning and managing
the life-cycle of symmetric encryption cryptographic keys, while XKMS
is focused on asymmetric cryptographic keys.  So, there is no overlap.
If you believe otherwise, please do continue to respond to this e-mail
address with your comments.

If you have other comments on SKSML, we welcome them.  Thank you for
taking the time to review the specification and send your comments.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.