ekmi-comment message

Subject: Re: [ekmi-comment] Fwd: comments on SKSML spec

Arshad,

Thanks for your prompt reply.  A few points of clarification:
- SOAP 1.1 is a W3C Note as a result of a Member Submission.  It is
not a W3C Recommendation.
- When I've asked vendors over the past few years, most were
supporting both versions of SOAP.  I'm currently using Axis2 and that
generates both SOAP 1.1 and 1.2 bindings in its WSDLs.  Especially for
something that would become a standard further in the future, it would
make sense to address both.  I recall differences between the two
versions and I don't remember if there is a basis for complete
backward compatibility; this is possibly true with constraints on SOAP
1.1 from the WS-I Basic Profile.  However, it is something you should
deal with for the spec to cover what can be considered typical use.
- I would strongly suggest a few words highlighting the symmetric vs.
asymmetric focus.  This is not my area of expertise so I cannot make
specific suggestions, but if there are fundamental differences with
XKMS that go beyond the inherent differences between symmetric vs.
asymmetric, those should be highlighted so someone implementing the
spec is prepared to deal with what could be unexpected differences.

Ken

On Jan 13, 2009, at 8:21 PM, Arshad Noor wrote:

> [...]
> the specification and/or update the specification before we vote on
> the standard.  If you have any supporting information showing the list
> of SOAP 1.2 implementations, that would be helpful to our process.
>
> WRT your comment on XKMS, this was addressed (to you) before the EKMI
> TC was formed, as the following URL shows:
>
> http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oasis-charter-discuss/email/archives/200611/msg00002.html
>
> However, to reiterate, SKSML is focused on provisioning and managing
> the life-cycle of symmetric encryption cryptographic keys, while XKMS
> is focused on asymmetric cryptographic keys.  So, there is no overlap.
> If you believe otherwise, please do continue to respond to this e-mail
> address with your comments.
>
> If you have other comments on SKSML, we welcome them.  Thank you for
> taking the time to review the specification and send your comments.
>
> Arshad Noor
> StrongAuth, Inc.
>

> Ken Laskey wrote:
>> These comments were originally submitted last July and I never
>> received
>> a response.  In looking over the current spec, these issues still
>> have
>> not been addressed.  These represent significant flaws and must be
>> addressed if this is ever to become an OASIS Standard.
>>
>> Ken
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> *From: *Ken Laskey <klaskey@mitre.org <mailto:klaskey@mitre.org>>
>>> *Date: *July 24, 2008 11:48:27 PM EDT
>>> *To: *"ekmi-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
>>> <mailto:ekmi-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org>"
>>> <ekmi-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
>>> <mailto:ekmi-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org>>
>>> *Subject: **comments on SKSML spec*
>>>
>>> I have not read the spec in detail but I have the following two
>>> early
>>> comments:
>>>
>>> 1. The spec refers in numerous places to SOAP 1.1 as a W3C
>>> recommendation.  SOAP 1.1 was a Member Submission having no specific
>>> standing as a W3C product.  The W3C Recommendation is SOAP 1.2 where
>>> SOAP no longer is an acronym expanding to Simple Object Access
>>> Protocol.
>>> a. The SKSML specification should properly reference the SOAP specs.
>>> See Recommendations under the Deliverables section at
>>> http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/#drafts.
>>> b. The SKSML specification should have a SOAP 1.2 representation.  A
>>> SOAP 1.1 representation may be an additional part of the spec for
>>> legacy applications, but SOAP 1.2 is widely enough adopted (and is
>>> included in the WS-I BP 2.0 draft) that it does not make sense to
>>> have
>>> a new OASIS Standard supporting only SOAP 1.1.
>>>
>>> 2. This is a specification for key management but there is no
>>> explanation of how this relates to the XML Key Management
>>> Specification (XKMS) that has been a W3C Recommendation since 28
>>> June
>>> 2005.  Such an explanation is necessary in order to properly