Subject: [Fwd: Standard for Key Management Infrastructure for CryptographicProtection of Stored Data]

I had an action item to forward this e-mail to the list.
Unfortunately, despite another e-mail to follow-up, I
never received a response from either of them.

Bob (Griffin), I know you're an observer on this list,
but if you have some influence over the IEEE WG to bring
us to the table to discuss joint goals and how we might
work together, I believe it will benefit everyone in the
industry.  Thanks.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Standard for Key Management Infrastructure for Cryptographic
Protection of Stored Data
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:34:25 -0800
From: Arshad Noor <arshad.noor@strongauth.com>
To: james.hughes@sun.com,  plotkin@cs.stanford.edu

Gentlemen,

I just read of the IEEE WG (1619.3) to focus on key-management for
disk-encryption.

There is an OASIS Technical Committee, the Enterprise Key Management
Infrastructure (EKMI) Technical Committee that just got created this
month to focus on key-management for the enterprise:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=ekmi

While I realize your scope is focused on key-management protocols for
storage devices, is it possible to have a conversation of how your
work and ours might mesh together?  I see some overlapping areas in
the two groups.

I am in the CA Bay Area and if necessary, I would be happy to meet
you somewhere in the valley (assuming you are in the Bay Area too,
James).

I invite you to take a look at our open-source software - StrongKey -
that has implemented a simple XML-based protocol for requesting
symmetric key-management services from centralized servers:

http://www.strongkey.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=35

This protocol is being submitted on a royalty-free basis to OASIS
for consideration of standardization.

If there are ways in which the IEEE and OASIS might work together
on common goals, I believe it will benefit everyone.  Looking
forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.