Subject: Re: [P1619-3] OASIS EKMI Article in InformationWeek

EKMI does not make any distinctions about data-in-transit or data-
at-rest, Laszlo.  It merely manages keys based on centrally-defined
policies, and lets the policy dictate how the keys are to be used.

However, by encrypting a Credit Card Number, a Medical record, or
a Tax-record with an SSN within the application, the keepers of IT
security do not have to worry about threats either to data-in-transit
or data-at-rest, because once the data leaves the application layer,
it is already encrypted.

This is the same reason why SKSML works as securely over HTTP and
does not care about SSL, TLS, IPSec or any other transport-level
security.  It is also the reason why cached keys on the client are
as secure as they are on the SKMS server or on the wire.  Once the
payload has been encrypted, then you can ignore threats to that data
at all other layers of the stack.

There is no reason to worry about traffic analysis with data encrypted
with keys delivered through SKSML; Security Officers can choose to
define a KeyUsePolicy that requires a completely new encryption key
for each transaction, if desired.  Or merely, generate a new IV for
each new transaction while using the same key for the hour, day, week,
etc.  The is significant flexibility within an SKMS.

I don't deny that a key within the application is at risk from all
of the threats you describe.  For those people who are paranoid
enough, they are going to be using a cryptographic module to do the
operation, in any case (inside a TPM, smartcard or HSM).  So, the
problem is mitigated, once again even with data-in-use.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.