Subject: Re: [P1619-3] OASIS EKMI Article in InformationWeek

I believe we will continue to disagree, Laszlo.  Your comments reflect
a tactical view of data-security, while my focus is strategic. (While
data-protection is a strategic issue for companies, there are tactical
and strategic ways to address the problem that optimizes TCO over the
long-term).

I do not believe users will have the luxury of turning off encryption
on any device within the next 5-7 years (thanks to the inadequacy of
network-based security).  Not only will government regulations around
the globe build on top of SB-1386, PIPEDA, EU Directive, RIPA, etc. to
stem the tide of breached-data, but companies will enforce encryption
to limit their external liabilities, and as a pre-requisite to comply
with their insurance policy requirements.

I do not believe that any of the limitations in today's technology
or environment will hamper encryption within applications.  On the
contrary, the are hastening the adoption.  Here are a few data-points
for my belief:

1) A 4-core 64-bit computer costs under $600 (I bought one 4 weeks ago
    at a local computer store).  8- and 16-core chips have already been
    promised by AMD/Intel for 2009, while 32-core CPUs are probably in
    the wings for 2010;

2) I cannot find a reference, but I have been told of one of the 2 chip
    manufacturers (AMD/Intel) having integrated crypto capabilities into
    the main CPU, thus making it an HSM.  Combine this "CPU-based HSM"
    with the capabilities of multi-core CPUs and you have machines with
    unprecedented crypto processing power.  AMD has taken the GPU through
    its full evolution and is already promising integrated CPU/GPU chips
    this year; the same evolution cycle will occur with the crypto
    processor, except faster than the CPU/GPU integration, IMO;

3) ISVs have already started modifying applications to encrypt sensitive
    data within the application.  Take a look at PABP and what ISVs have
    to do to get their applications PABP-certified.  While PABP applies
    only to payment applications, the wisdom of those practices (and the
    "free" security of the stack under the application) will not go
    unnoticed by risk-managers, corporate developers and non-payment
    application ISVs;

4) Just as the primary-key is an integral part of an object's schema,
    the "global key-identifier" will also become an inherent part of an
    object's schema.  There will be as much likelihood of losing this
    "global key-identifier" as losing the primary-key of an object;

5) Take a look at the traffic on the Java JCE forum at java.sun.com
    and the BouncyCastle forum to get a sense for how many developers
    have already started modifying their applications to encrypt
    sensitive data within the application.

6) Some developer tools are already starting to show up on SourceForge
    to automatically encrypt data within the application, albeit with
    proprietary key-management interfaces.

Since I do not claim to be a cryptography expert, our intent in the
OASIS TC is to distribute the EKMI specification to three different
cryptography forums on the internet and solicit comments within the
60-day public review period that OASIS requires (anticipated to start
in mid-July).  All comments and responses will be publicly visible on
OASIS' website during this period.

I would encourage you to document your concerns publicly when that
review period begins - you can do it as an individual if you choose
not to use your company affiliation for documenting your concerns.

Thanks.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.