Subject: Election Presentation & User-Interface Issues

I apologize for sending this out only a few hours before our next meeting.
I had intended to send this out earlier, but it has taken substantially
longer to write-out than I had anticipated. I consider this as a draft that
may have holes in its logic. Due to time constraints, I have not been able
to seek-out feedback on this before sending it out. I welcome everyone's
comments.

speak up.

Following are my thoughts on both presentation and user-interface issues.
 From my perspective, these are related topics. Presentation deals with
tatic, one-way communication. User-interfaces extend presentation to allow
for dynamic, two-way interaction.

Generic vs. Election-Specific

As is commonly known, there are already standardized ways to present data
stored in an XML format. Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is the most common
method. Extensible Stylesheet Language (XSL) - made up of XSLT, XPath, and
XSL/FO - is the up-and-coming method. Document Style Semantics and
Specification Language (DSSSL) was created to format Standard Generalized
Markup Language (SGML) and XML, however it's rather complex and is not
widely used. Formatting Output Specification Instances (FOSI) has been used
to format SGML and XML, however it's also not widely used.

As I mentioned in a previous email, there is also a way to define
user-interfaces in XML using Extensible User-interface Language (XUL).
While XUL is not a standard, it is the only way I'm aware of to define
user-interfaces using XML that is actively used.

One issue I've been looking into is whether there's a benefit in creating
an election-specific way to define how XML ballot data is presented to
voters. This is in contrast to using the generic methods for XML
presentation (CSS & XSL).

Another issue I've been looking at is whether there is benefit in creating
an election-specific way to define user-interfaces for voting systems. This
is in contrast to there being no standard way to define election-related
user-interfaces.

For awhile now I have held the view that creating election-specific ways to
define both presentation and user-interfaces would be beneficial to the
elections community.

--------------
Rationale
--------------

There are several reasons why I believe having a standardized way of
defining presentation and user-interfaces for elections is necessary.

Standardized presentation and user-interface definitions for elections would …

(1.) Provide a common way to address election presentation and
user-interface issues.

Some of the largest problems that occurred in the 2000 US Presidential
Election in Florida had to do with presentation and user-interface issues -
poorly designed ballot layouts, confusing ballot instructions, and no
ballot validation feedback for voters. A post-mortem analysis by USA Today
and several other news organizations (http://recount.usatoday.com) revealed
that these problems (not including the many other problems that occurred)
likely changed the outcome of that election.

There aren't many feasible solutions to these problems. However, the one
that seems to offer the most promise is to enable legislators,
policy-makers, and any other interested parties to use a common method to
define ballot presentation and voting system user-interfaces. This would
allow very detailed guidelines and/or templates to be defined, published,
widely analyzed, conversed about using a common vocabulary, and finalized.

This process could bring ballot layout and user-interface decisions out
into the light of day, where all affected by the decisions can participate
in forming them. However, without a common method of defining ballot
presentation and user-interfaces, this type of open discussion and analysis
is only likely to happen in a localized, limited way at best.

(2.) Enable voluntary ballot standardization without heavy-handed
legislation or policy.

One partial solution that was discussed as a result of the Florida recount
was the use of a standardized ballot for all national elections. In theory,
at least, this would ensure that no voter or voter group would be
disenfranchised because of poor ballot layout or unclear voting instructions.

However, in the US at least, federally mandated solutions for election
problems generally aren't well received. This means that any type of ballot
standardization that occurs would likely need to be adopted on a
jurisdiction-by-jurisdiction basis.

If every jurisdiction adopts a common, standard way of defining ballot
data, presentation, and user-interfaces -- and adopts a common template for
each election -- this could provide the benefits of a standardized ballot
without the legal and political battles that would be triggered by
mandating a standard ballot.

Voluntary ballot standardization is unlikely to happen without a
standardized way of defining ballot presentation and user-interfaces.

(3.) Enable large-scale, automated and semi-automated methods of analyzing
ballot content, layout, and user-interfaces.

As mentioned above, publishing ballot definitions online would be useful
for uncovering problematic ballot designs. However, due to there being
thousands of ballot layouts used in any given national-scale election, cost
and time constraints would likely prevent national-level citizen watchdog
groups from analyzing all of the ballot definitions if manual analysis is
the only option available.

A standardized method for ballot presentation and user-interface definition
would allow automated and semi-automated analysis of ballot definitions.

Legislators, policy makers, and voting standards creators could create one
or more guideline schemas that would have jurisdiction-specific ballot
definition requirements encoded into an XML document model. These guideline
schemas could be fed into an XML validating parser along with all the
ballot definitions they are intended to apply to. The validating parser
would automatically flag any ballot definitions that are invalid according
to the parameters encoded into the guideline schemas. The ballot
definitions that are deemed as valid by the validating parser would not
need further attention. The ballot definitions flagged as invalid could be
passed off to human analysts for follow-up analysis or action.

Templates could be created which would be used to construct ballot
definitions, customized for local precincts, that combine national,
state/provincial, and local contests and issues. The ballot construction
process could automatically pass all newly built ballot definitions through
a validating parser at the end of the process, to help insure that ballot
presentation and user-interface guidelines are being met for each ballot.

If for some reason the capability of XML schemas and validating parsers
isn't sufficient to analyze and validate ballot definitions to a desirable
extent, then commonly available scripting languages could be used to create
automated validation robots (a.k.a. "bots"). Automated validation bots
would be feasible as long as standardized definitions for ballot
presentation and user-interfaces are used.

This solution would be beneficial, but is unlikely to happen without a
standard way to define ballot presentation and voting system user-interfaces.

(4.) Increase interoperability of voting systems and election management
software.

Without standardization, ballot presentation and user-interface definitions
would need to be customized for each voting system and each suite of
election management software. However, with standardization, ballot
definitions could be created once and used with any standards-compatible
voting or election management system.

Currently the practice seems to be that election administrators use
election management software supplied by the same vendor that supplies
their voting system. Standardization - including ballot presentation and
user-interface definitions - would allow election management system
software to be de-linked from voting systems. Election management systems
and voting systems could be chosen independently of each other.

Definition of ballot presentation and ballot user-interface could be
defined in a non-proprietary manner that would work with any
standards-compliant voting system or election management system.

Data interoperability among voting systems will be a positive step forward.
However, presentation and user-interface interoperability would provide
even greater benefit and flexibility to election administrators.

(5.) Enable advancement in election technology, procedures, and solutions.

In her email sent to this committee on 24 May 2001, Deborah Phillips stated …

" … we would like EML to be available (and constructed) for the widest
possible application and use, so that the states, vendors, administrators,
legislators can begin to think in terms of creating 50 state centralized
computerized registration systems that could easily network permitting the
accessibility of one's local ballot from any secure polling station and
also the instantaneous verification of registration nationwide …"

I refer to that last part about "permitting the accessibility of one's
local ballot from any secure polling station and also the instantaneous
verification of registration nationwide" as vote-from-any-polling-place.
This concept has previously been referred to as vote-anywhere, a term that
is misleading to the degree that it implies it encompasses voting from
locations other than officially-controlled polling places.

I have heard David Jefferson present this concept several times over the
last couple years. For those unfamiliar with him, David is an employee of
Compaq Computer Corporation and was the Chair of the Technical Committee
for the California Internet Voting Task Force.

Vote-from-any-polling-place systems are not so far off into the future that
we should be unconcerned with them. The US Department of Defense recently
built a small-scale prototype that was, in essence, a
vote-from-any-polling-place type of voting system. It was created as part
of the Federal Voter Assistance Program, which is targeted at assisting US
military personnel with participating in elections while they are stationed
overseas.

Dr. Jefferson recently commented on this effort during his participation in
a panel discussion hosted by the National Commission on Federal Election
Reform. He stated …

"… [this is] a first shot at a project, at a very important problem. There
are many barriers to overseas military voting, not the least of which [is]
that at any one location you have military personnel from 500 different
jurisdictions with 3,000 different ballot types all trying to vote in one
location. That is an enormous problem; they have a huge, enormous problem.
For a first shot at tackling the problem, it was time to try it. I assume
they will learn from this experience and try again on a larger scale with
[a] somewhat different architecture."

(http://www.reformelections.org/data/transcripts/h2/hearing2_p4.php?d=April+
12%2C+2001)

It seems likely that this type of voting will, sooner or later, be
available in non-military settings. However, one of the many issues that
need to be addressed before this can happen on a wide-scale is that of
enabling a consistent way to present tens of thousands of ballot types,
which originate from thousands of different jurisdictions, with a single
voting system.

The only way I'm aware of to do this, in a way which allows every
jurisdiction to maintain control of how their ballots are presented to
their voters, is to use a common method for defining ballot presentation
and user-interface.

Vote-from-any-polling-place is unlikely to happen without a standard way of
defining ballot presentation and user-interface.

(6.) Increase the probability of EML acceptance and adoption by election
administrators, legislators, voting standards creators, and voting system
creators.

With any type of standard, the less benefit it offers, the less incentive
there is to adopt it. With EML my concern is that if its capability becomes
too tightly focused, then those who run public elections will simply ignore
it. If EML only provides partial solutions for public election problems,
then there may not be sufficient incentive to adopt it.

If this were to happen, then EML could end up as a niche technology used
only for small-scale or private elections. I would prefer not to see this
happen. If it is going to be built, I tend to think it should be built to
be widely useable.

This is the reason I believe it would be wise for the committee to work off
of a broadly defined purpose statement that encompasses using XML in any
way that would improve elections, and not solely focusing on data
interchange. What capability is actually added to EML would then be
determined by whatever capability people feel is worth investing time and
effort into creating.

This approach would allow a broad field of options to be considered. Then
the options would be narrowed down based on the potential value committee
members see in each option. The options for which there is not sufficient
support would simply go unimplemented.

With this being said, I do believe that any XML specification which is
intended for use in public elections needs to have a standard way of
defining ballot presentation and voting system user-interfaces for it to be
seriously considered for wide-spread adoption.

-----------------------------
Presentation Issues
-----------------------------

Concerning election-specific presentation capability, after looking at what
is needed and what is currently possible, my perspective has changed. I no
longer see benefit in creating election-specific presentation capability.
My current thinking is that CSS and XSL should work well for this.

I do, however, see benefit in creating several types of examples that show
how EML could effectively be used.

One type is examples showing how CSS and XSL could be used in conjunction
with EML for creating common types of ballot layouts - using paper,
electronic/visual, electronic/audio, electronic/tactile, and
wireless/visual ballots.

A second type is an example to show how EML "templates" could be used to
automatically combine ballot definitions from multiple levels of government
into a single ballot with a consistent and unified ballot layout.

A third type is an example procedure for packaging and publishing ballot
definitions, including presentation and user-interface elements, on the
Internet for all to access and analyze.

A fourth type is examples showing how published ballot definitions could be
validated against one or more published guideline schemas.

And a fifth type is an example of how vote-from-any-polling-place could be
facilitated using EML/CSS or EML/XSL.

These examples would not necessarily need to be created by the EML
committee. I do, however, think they would be beneficial to create. If
these examples are created, they could be used as initial prototypes for
developing the solutions mentioned in the "Rationale" section above.

Voting systems that are used on a small scale or for private elections may
not derive significant benefit from building-in support for CSS and/or XSL.
However, those creating voting systems intended for use in public elections
may have a greater incentive to build this support into their systems.

-------------------------------
User-Interface Issues
-------------------------------

I had intended to write out thoughts on user-interface definition as well,
however I've run out of time to get this email out before our meeting. I
will look into this further and get something written up on it when time
permits. At this time, however, I'm not even sure this is something that
could realistically be defined with XML since it would involve both
user-interface and elections-programming definitions. I'll have to look
into this further to see what it would involve and if it would be feasible
to do with XML. If the EML committee addresses this at all, I tend to think
it would not be worked on until Phase 2, Phase 3, or beyond.

As I mentioned above, I have not yet had time to seek out feedback on any
of this, so everyone's comments are welcome.

Best Regards,
Thom