Subject: Re: [election-services] Further musings on the need for VVPAT...

David hi.

On point 1 you are only partially correct. Yes some part of the process
must have details of where to send a confirmation. However not all of the
process needs this. In fact it is far better if only one part does.

User logs in by a PC passing their login credentials.
Server verifies them and sets up a session on a remote database which is
encrypted by a hash set at the time the process was started at login. This
has with it a SessionId which is internal to the process.

This SessionId is passed with seperate undisclosed and unknown (Created at
this time) details to the voting server which registers the vote and
passes back the SessionId to the verification server. It matches the 2 and
responds with a "great thanks very much" or an "O I have screwed up"
email.

The Voting server has no idea who the user is and does not need to know.
The SessionId dies before the confirmation email is sent as does the
session on the database, which itself holds no identifying details.

Yes somebody could hack in at this point. But to decrypt thi slot would
take one hell of a rack of servers, a while and details of at least 3
seperate IP addressess and login details.

Cheers
Simon

<quote who="David Webber \(XML\)">

--