Subject: Comparing Marylands DRE voting to a trusted system

Team,

We have an opportunity to study the methods
Maryland are using and compare those to
the latest trusted model.

Interestingly the Maryland procedure has now
adopted many of the aspects of the trusted
process.  So while they may not be aware of
the definition of the process - clearly they are
moving toward one.

They have recognized the need to have separate
verification of the counts, and electoral counts, and
the need to validate and check the software programs
used.

The only issue that I can see here is that their DRE
machines can still be compromised with their
current procedure.

Here's a few attacks I could see that the software could
have and still pass their pre and post election testing.

The most obvious is a small percentage based vote
switching system that only occurs once a certain
number of voters have cast votes - or only on the
election day itself - pre and post checking would
not catch that.

Similarly if one of the key cards (used by voters
to access a DRE) was a special card, that when
inserted into the voting machine activated
the switching logic - that would also be another attack.
Since the cards are rotated through the machines on
voting day - eventually each one would be triggered
by the special card - (and the vendor does control
the supply of those cards BTW).

Third - the counting and tallying software could be
compromised - so even though all the counts coming
from the voting stations are correct - they can be
manipulated on the tallying side - to shift votes
there too - and especially because there is no way
to crosscheck votes against separate paper ballots.

But specific attacks are not the point - they could test
for my three here - and still fail to catch another attack
we've not thought of.  The problem is that they
do not have an independent VVPB thread in their
voting.  So - while their current crosschecks are
good and necessary - they are not unassailable
because the DRE is doing both the vote taking
and the counting and not printing an independent
paper trail.

You would not expect your bank to write all
your cheques, and balance your account and not
send you statements!  The opportunuity to add
a few pennies here and there on a random basis
would be just too exposed - even if you did
trust your bank.

But their letter does show that they have done
the best they can with a DRE-only system. We
have to give them credit for that.

It is also instructive for us in designing a
trusted process to see how a currently fielded
system is exposed to risk, and how a trusted
process can remove those risks.

DW