Subject: RE: [election-services] GAO report on election system security

Just because the average citizen can grok SMS does not mean it is a safe and reliable means of accurately running a serious voting application.

Notice in the USA here they had to re-do an American Idol poll because someone made a glitch in how SMS votes were routed to the various counting buckets.  This stuff is just too hard to accurately audit and ensure there has not been any sophisticated manipulation of the results.

In the USA literally billions of $$$ are on the line in each Presidential Election - so the stakes are so high - everyone has to be more than just "used to it" to make sure it is not being compromised by sophisticated agents.

I've looked at company voting services - they seem the last place where open standards may sell - they all want closed systems that lock in their clients.  Unless somoene like the EU mandates - a la XBRL - that they have to use EML - they are not going to - is my assess there!

DW

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Paul Spencer" <paul.spencer@boynings.co.uk>
Date: Mon, October 24, 2005 12:35 pm
To: <sibain@tendotzero.com>, "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: <election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>

I think SMS voting is being pushed by politicians in the UK on the basis
that "if millions of 18-24s vote by SMS on Big Brother, they will vote in
parliamentary elections as well if they can use SMS". Making democracy is
interesting(?) as Big Brother doesn't seem to enter the equation, any more
than security.

Simon is absolutely right that those who understand the issues should do the
educating. If we could get e-voting (preferably using EML) adopted in less
controversial areas, the acceptance would increase. This probably means the
private sector and remote voting. There are a limited number of companies in
the UK that manage much of the voting for unions and company AGMs. Perhaps
these are the people (or their customers) we should be convincing. Thinking
aloud though, companies may not want people voting themselves at their AGMs
rather than just appointing the chairman as a proxy with no guidance on how
to use their votes.

Regards

Paul, from an equally wet and windy southern'ish UK