Subject: RE: [election-services] EML BUSINESS CASE

Paul,

I like the analysis and thoughts - and especially the last 6 bullet points.

I guess we need to forget that in the mass communications age - anything more than 10 pages is not read - and really only the first 2 to 5 pages...

Instead of the executive overview we should have John do a podCast and post to U-Tube ; -)

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Paul Spencer" <paul.spencer@boynings.co.uk>
Date: Wed, November 29, 2006 4:31 am
To: "John Borras" <johnaborras@yahoo.co.uk>, "EML TC"
<election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>

John,

I agree with David's point about formatting. It needs white space between
paragraphs. I always use a paragraph style in Word that leaves a 6pt gap.

I think an executive summary would help. About half a page, but this is all
I would put on the front page.

In the Introduction the phrase "The implementation of electronic voting
would allow increased access to the voting process for millions of potential
voters" seems rather out of date now. Perhaps replace "would allow" with
"allows" and change the focus from e-voting being good to EML making
e-voting work better. Later parts in this paragraph need to change to match,
but the following paragraph illustrates exactly what I mean. Administrations
already want e-voting, the problem is that it is seen to have problems, and
these problems stem from the use of proprietary systems.

Don't forget that EML is about more than e-voting. I would stress in the
Introduction that it can be (and is being) used for electoral registration
and can be used for e-counting in paper-based elections. Peter Brown has
contributed before on how useful it would be if a standard such as EML were
used to communicate counts in European elections.

In the Benefits of EML section, we concentrate on the "convenience" aspects
for purchasers and suppliers. Could David supply more on how EML supports
security and trustworthiness? Ultimately, these are the major benefits. The
current list was made before we knew that current proprietary systems just
can't be trusted. This section also needs reformatting.

Do we need the terminology section in this document?

I think the Trustworthy Elections section is the key. There is a section
near the end "The responsibility of providing trustworthy elections must be
shared by all involved including Election Managers, Governments and
Suppliers; democracy relies on it.  Developments like EML make that
provision possible whether it is for a traditional or e-enabled election." I
think we need to say *how* EML does that when compared to proprietary
solutions.

It is good to have a SWOT analysis, but again, it is comparing e-voting to
paper, not EML to proprietary solutions.

If we can agree on the key points, I think that between us we could halve
the size of the document and make it much more focussed. As a start:

EML ...

... makes e-voting more trustworthy. How?

... is an open standard. How does that help?

... allows "mix and match" of equipment.

... reduces the need for suppliers to customise equipment between
administrations

... provides common interfaces from different equipment suppliers (e.g. UK
CORE project).

... can be used for any electronic part of the election process:
registration, e-voting, communication of count.

Perhaps we should start with the SWOT, then work around this. I'll think
about that later today or on Friday.

Regards

Paul