Subject: RE: [election-services] FYI: BREAKING: NATIONAL STANDARDS INSTITUTE RECOMMENDSSCRAPPING TOUCH-SCREEN VOTING SYSTEMS!

Paul,

One further note - check out slides #6, #17, #24 and especially #27 here!

 http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/12874/Trusted%20Logic%20Voting%20with%20OASIS%20EML%204.ppt

; -)

Cheers, DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [election-services] FYI: BREAKING: NATIONAL STANDARDS
INSTITUTE RECOMMENDSSCRAPPING TOUCH-SCREEN VOTING SYSTEMS!
From: "Paul Spencer" <paul.spencer@boynings.co.uk>
Date: Fri, December 01, 2006 6:08 am
To: "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: "Patrick Gannon" <patrick.gannon@oasis-open.org>,
<joehall@pobox.com>, "OASIS EML TC"
<election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>

David,

I think there is one further difference. In my example, both the DRE and the counting engine (which I think is your tabulator) keep counts. My counting engine has to have a "live" connection to the DRE, which should be a local, secure, wired LAN. The feedback from the counting engine to the user could be to a printer (no intelligence required - a teletype would do). The printed slips could then be stored.

We then have (using the printer model):

1. Voter casts "provisional" vote.

2. DRE records provisional vote and sends a 440 to the counting engine (CE).

3. CE records provisional vote and sends feedback to printer.

4. Voter confirms that vote has been correctly registered.

5. DRE and CE record the confirmed vote.

6. Voter puts paper record in ballot box.

At the end of the election period:

7. DRE And CE counts are compared for each DRE.

8. If they are different, the paper ballots are counted.

9. For audit purposes, some paper records are counted anyway and compared to the DRE and CE counts.

10. The paper record is also available for recounts.

I think this is software independent. I probably should have patented it!

Regards

Paul