Subject: RE: [election-services] FYI: BREAKING: NATIONAL STANDARDS INSTITUTE RECOMMENDS SCRAPPING TOUCH-SCREEN VOTING SYSTEMS!

John,

Thank you for your comments. I have two questions.

1. Can you provide specific references to which IEEE WG is including an EML Profile; as well as any specific contact persons?  We have an IEEE rep on the TGDC, so we are wanting to be able to report on this level of cross-org collaboration.

2. Does anyone on the OASIS E&VS TC have knowledge of voting that is being done on paperless electronic only systems?  The basic thrust of the NIST (and TGDC Security & Transparency subcommittee) recommendation is that Software Independent systems use paper to produce an independent verification. This is in line with the example that David W.'s paper shows, whereby EML is used to transfer the ballot info to a printer.  However, what I am trying to discover is that where EML is being used, or planned to be used, in voting systems in Europe, do they still use printed paper verification?  I am trying to determine if there is any current system using EML that can provide independent verification results, without using printed paper records.

--

Patrick Gannon

From: John Borras [mailto:johnaborras@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 4:14 AM
To: david@drrw.info; patrick.gannon@oasis-open.org
Cc: election-services@lists.oasis-open.org; Eduardo.Gutentag@Sun.COM; mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org; carol.geyer@oasis-open.org

David - thanks, you beat me to it!

Patrick

David's paper sums up the technical solution very well but I would stress that the most important aspects of e-voting from the election officials and administrators point of view is auditablity, transparency and accreditation.  All of which are essential to increase voters' confidence in the new methods of voting.  This was re-affirmed yet again at a meeting of the Council of Europe that I attended last week.   As you are aware accreditation can/should only be done against a standard/specification and EML is the only one in the e-voting space right now.  It will gain increased profile when we take it into ISO next year and allow for an international accreditation routine to be established.  IEEE are working on a standard for DREs and when they publish it next year it will contain an EML profile as we have been working hand in hand with them.

So our message to NIST and TGDC is there are solutions to the problems and we would welcome the opportunity to explore these further with their officials.

I was very disappointed not to get to the Forum last week but something cropped up at the last minute.  Glad to hear it all went very well.

M. +44 (0)7976 157745