Subject: RE: [election-services] FYI: BREAKING: NATIONAL STANDARDS INSTITU TE RECOMMENDSSCRAPPING TOUCH-SCREEN VOTING SYSTEMS!

Peter,

I totally agree - the "secret sauce" here is one that provides independent mechanisms that can be implemented irrespective of the particular device hardware setup.

What we are talking about is estabishing a minimum level of functionality so that buyers know that the solution is robust (undervotes / overvotes, etc), reliable - and as John noted - auditability, transparency and accreditation.

After that it's up to customers to decide if their systems statisfy their other needs appropriately.

I believe we have more than demonstrated that EML can do the job needed - and EML has been correctly designed to control the interchange points in the process - which is always the common sense approach to building a workable set of independent mechanisms.  Do not sweat the internal details - manage and control the interchange points.  NIST and EAC have waste vast time and effort on sweat details that are peripheral and irrelevant - when you establish simple clear standard mechanisms for the interchange control and the content therein.

What is frustrating is that OASIS has a perfectly functioning set of standards that NIST can adopt RIGHT NOW.  Instead NIST is provaricating and waffling about not being able to do so until further research is done over the next five years.  And the examples of "current research" NIST cited is old and weak too boot.

This is boardering on incompetence on their part in my book - am I missing something - or are they the National Institute of Standards and Technology?  My simple reply to their statement today at the TGDC is "WRONG ANSWER!"   And I'm sure there are going to be droves of politicians and citizens who are fed up with the lack of progress who are going to say the same thing.  Politicians like Barbara Samorajczyk who this week could not get a re-count because of this (see quote below).

NIST have not even attempted to show if OASIS EML can or cannot do the job and use case we've presented.  It's not like EML is some huge secret technology that NIST is completely unaware of.

We can pilot this with NIST starting next week - we have the XML, we have the open source code and we have sample deployments.  It's time NIST stopped evading this and actually delivering something worthwhile that will assist every vendor and customer out here.

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)
Barbara Samorajczyk, who lost to Ronald A. George by 53 votes in House of Delegates District 30, said she conceded by phone yesterday after deciding that "there wasn't any meaningful way to do a recount" with electronic voting machines. "We cannot recount the machine," Samorajczyk said.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [election-services] FYI: BREAKING: NATIONAL STANDARDS
INSTITU TE RECOMMENDSSCRAPPING TOUCH-SCREEN VOTING SYSTEMS!
From: "Zelechoski, Peter" <pzelechoski@essvote.com>
Date: Mon, December 04, 2006 11:29 am
To: "'David RR Webber (XML)'" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: 'Patrick Gannon' <patrick.gannon@oasis-open.org>,
"'joehall@pobox.com'" <joehall@pobox.com>, 'OASIS EML TC'
<election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>, 'Paul Spencer'
<paul.spencer@boynings.co.uk>

David -

I have attempted not to step into this -- being a vendor representative, I don't feel endorsing any specific deployment is appropriate.

The conceptual part of using EML and sending the 440 to any independent system for a separate validation is what delivers the independent validation that NIST is moving toward.  That concept is what is important, not any specific physical manifestation.

Personally, I take offense at blanket discussion of any voting system as bad.  Every system in use has good and bad points.  I participate on the EML group and in the IEEE group because I believe that open standards are where we need to head to provide for transparent independent validation to let everyone have more confidence in the results from all systems.

- Peter