Subject: RE: [election-services] Cellphones - the ultimate thin-client voting terminal?

John,

This is a little bit different from calling in over a telephone - as the voting application is actually running on the cellphone - written in Java on LINUX - and provides menuing and collecting of ballot choices actually on the device.

As you point our SMS is just one option.

Interestingly - you could maybe bypass SMS - by using encrypted voice packets instead - have the java do the encoding - and send that over a regular dial-in -> back to the old days when I used to record my programs at 2400 baud to a cassette recorder from a BBC Acorn Atom - just a brief high pitched whine as the transfer happens!?!  You could mute the speaker - so the user would not be disturbed.  However - that would require better levels of signal quality than plain old SMS.

Support from TC members - happy to have people contribute to the first drafting - and then of course once we publish the draft for review here - I'm sure we can expect helpful input and refinements at that stage too.

Ultimately if everyone likes the paper - we could consider making it a formal TC doc - rather than just a draft.

Thanks, DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)