Subject: Fw: VIP/EML CONVERGENCE

At long last and thanks to Joe's efforts I have started a dialogue with the VIP team.  You may remember we identified this project some weeks ago and were somewhat concerned about their focus and direction.  You will see from the exchanges below that there is a willingness to try and converge and map a route from VIP to EML.  The proposal is for a small team to take both sets of requirements and identify overlaps and differences.  We can then agree a plan for either updating EML in v6 with the new requirements or develop a converter if we think their needs are outside of our scope.

So I need a couple of volunteers please to help with this work.  David and Peter I think you would be best placed given that this is very much USA specific, if you can spare the time?  Paul - I assume you will be too busy in the Caribbean?   I will invite the volunteers to join the Google discussions and we can then organise how best the tackle the task.

Any general thoughts/observations on this would be appreciated.

M. +44 (0)7976 157745
Skype: gov3john

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Aaron B Strauss <aaronbs@gmail.com>
To: vip-format-discuss@googlegroups.com
Sent: Monday, 7 July, 2008 11:32:15 PM
Subject: Re: VIP/EML CONVERGENCE?

To follow-up

1. I think VIP fits in as an intermediate step in the process to
complete open e-voting. For example, it's my understanding that the
new guidelines by EAC allow open source voting systems to be
accredited. But that's a far cry from embracing open source solutions
for election data management. Being realistic about the use of
proprietary vendors for Election Management Systems (EMS's), VIP's
goal is to take the disparate EMS formats and produce an open format
that in no way threatens vendors (because we need their cooperation
for any of these endeavors) while also allowing states to restrict the
use of personally-identifiable information. Eventually, when elections
systems become completely open then VIP will be much less useful, and
EML will play its destined role. Until that day, we offer VIP to
address the pressing need of voters to figure out what they are voting
on and where they should go to cast a ballot.

2. Absolutely, we are keeping an eye on the future. A key part of this
is geography -- we are creating the VIP format with the goal that
geographic elements play similar functions so that they can be mixed
and matched in future versions. For instance, right now, the basic
geographic hierarchy is state->locality->precinct, but there is little
in the spec to prevent a jurisdiction (e.g., Guam) to have a
state->precinct hierarchy or another jurisdiction (e.g., Virginia or
Iowa) to have state->locality->locality->precinct.  We want to start
with a US-centric format, but are trying not to limit ourselves down
the road.

3. The geography is a key piece for us because we do not expect states
to release their voter files. Thus, we have to match addresses to
precincts. And since EML aims to serve the same function as
proprietary, individually-intifiable EMS formats, I'm not sure I would
recommend EML to adopt our geographic strategy. I think this is one
area where our different goals cause us to come up with
non-overlapping formats.

4. Overall, I completely agree, there is a great deal of overlap. And
I think we have a lot to learn from the work you've already done. As
mentioned in point 1, I really see VIP as a stop-gap measure, and as
such I think a VIP->EML converter would be a great help in pushing
states toward EML eventually.

5. Our current targets revolve around this election -- trying to get a
50-state solution by October, which is when polling places are locked
down and voters really start searching for this information.

6. Anyone is welcome to join this group: it's open. And having a small
group work offline sounds like an excellent plan.

Aaron