Subject: RE: [election-services] Fw: VIP/EML CONVERGENCE

John,

Remember that EML v5 included a lot of changes to support US already.  Particularly all the comments we received from NIST on precinct level recording - and then the California SOS on EML 510/520 for reporting US State elections.

I believe EML 5 with the CIQ v2 does already support US postal address standards (CIQ was designed for that).

However its as clear as mud in how you actually do that - so - yes - we need to develop patterns and templates to show implementers like VIP - how this is done in practice.

I'm definately planning to publish tools to do that.

BTW - good news - we have the toolset now processing the EML template load in 15 seconds - down from 20 minutes!  So next week I should finally be able to quickly build example templates, documentation and test case examples for folks to review.

The basic challenge with creating country localizations was it took so long manually.  The toolset cuts 3+ weeks of work down to a few hours.

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [election-services] Fw: VIP/EML CONVERGENCE
From: John Borras <johnaborras@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, July 18, 2008 9:27 am
To: EML TC <election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>
Cc: Lori Steele <lori@everyonecounts.com>

David/Peter

I'm copying this reply to the TC as I believe they need to be aware of these discussions for future decisions once we've completed our current efforts with the VIP team.

We included CIQ in EML as the default address standard in the absence of anything else but anticipated that most countries would supplement this with their own national address standard as we did with BS766 here in UK.  If we are clear that USA doesn't have an equivalent to BS7666 then we will need to agree whether we should therefore seek to "impose" CIQ on the Americans.  I don't know how we get their agreement on this but that's something we will need to sort out.  If we do  use CIQ then we should certainly look for a cut down version as David has indicated and one that is forward compatible with CIQ v3.

What I'm seeing out of this VIP work and our earlier efforts on the EAC's draft guidelines is the need for us to produce a USA localisation of EML similar to the UK one.   I don't see any other outfit doing it, and whilst it would require time and effort by some/all of us it would give you suppliers the inside track in the market as and when we get some take-up of EML in US.  Certainly this VIP project looks as though it can help us with and we should be able to build on the markets they are already creating.

So back to my introduction, at some point in the near future I will be asking the TC to consider and approve creating the USA version of EML.  Whether we do that for v5 or await until we have a v6 is a matter for discussion.

Any initial thoughts on this would be appreciated

M. +44 (0)7976 157745
Skype: gov3john