Subject: RE: [election-services] Fw: VIP/EML =?UTF-8?Q?CONVERGENCE=3F?=

John,

Yes - I agree a new EML 115 can capture the geographic details of the area associated with the 110 polling place.

I'm seeing there is potentially an "easy" solution - use almost the exact same method as OASIS EDXL is already.  We can "borrow" their schema imports of the CIQ and Geospatial XSDs.  They already have this.  It would be a nice primer for us to move to CIQ v3 next in EML V6.

Think we need to collect together the conceptual model first on how this all would work (Paul - novel concept - do the information model first!) - using street / GPS / map references to markout the physical boundaries - store that in XML - but I'm seeing the means to do this is probably already in the EDXL stuff.

Then ensure we have the right pieces from the VIP side too - and the linkage to the 110.

Googles mapping engine should be able to place people's physical address inside the boundary then - drawing it on the map and pinpointing their house.

This is going to be a very cool application.  Think the states will have huge incentive to provide those EML 115 and EML 110's to drive this with - and it will make their lives much easier - instead of having to figure out all kinds of ugly addressing based rules - let the mapping software do the work...

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [election-services] Fw: VIP/EML CONVERGENCE?
From: John Borras <johnaborras@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, July 29, 2008 4:17 am
To: "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: EML TC <election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>

David

I'm not convinced we should handle geography specifically within v6.  I think it's out of scope for us.  We can leave hooks for users to insert their own preferred mapping tools, eg Google maps, but let's not get sucked too deeply into this aspect.

I agree we have within 110 most of what is needed for VIP but the one bit we don't have is the link between a voter's home address to their precinct and thus polling station.  The business rules that determine this are usually within the election authorities' systems and all we've done is handle the output from that which tells the voter on their polling notification where to go to cast their vote.  What VIP want to do is handle the business rules as well so the third parties can provide the searching facility direct to the voter.  So that's where I think we need the new message, perhaps a 115.

M. +44 (0)7976 157745
Skype: gov3john