Subject: RE: [election-services] Draft position paper for EAC/NIST UOCAVA workshop

Hi All

David and I have had another iteration of the draft paper and it’s attached for your final comments please.  We’ve tried to accommodate all views expressed on the first version plus I’ve steered it away from us appearing to be any sort of campaigning group for evoting – see my views in email below.   For the purposes of this submission we need to be agnostic on solutions, however if we get selected and asked to attend the workshop we could then develop our ideas in the open debate giving the audience the benefit of our experience.  But let’s get this paper finalised and submitted first.

If anyone has got any further examples for the Experiences section please let me have details.

From: John Borras [mailto:johnaborras@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: 15 July 2010 10:57
To: 'election-services@lists.oasis-open.org'

OK  caught up now and thanks to all for their input so far.

My starting point is which of the workshop topics we should be seeking to address.  I’ve annotated the topics list below with views that reflect my earlier comments, but are we agreed on that as the starting point?

David – it’s not clear to me which of these, or all of them, you are attempting to cover in your draft paper?

The sponsoring organizations seek to understand:

·         Desired/required functional properties of UOCAVA remote voting systems  - Possible pointer to CoE Rec

·         Advantages and disadvantages of different UOCAVA remote voting system architectures  - Possibly

·         Ways to express and compare risks, including using metrics  - No

·         Risks associated with using the Cyber Infrastructures such as the Internet - Yes

·         Risks associated with domestic and UOCAVA mail-in absentee voting - No

·         Risks associated with remote electronic voting - Yes

·         Domestic and UOCAVA mail-in absentee voting and remote electronic voting risk comparisons - No

·         Experiences with remote electronic absentee voting systems – Possibly, eg UK pilots,  Dutch trials etc.

The workshop organizers are soliciting position papers on these topics.

I think we can address most of these selected points using the material in App B of our Spec document, see extract attached.  This expresses opinions that the TC has already signed up to but doesn’t get us deeply into the more contentious aspects of this whole debate.

I would also suggest that we reference the Council of Europe Recommendation which is very explicit on all aspects of remote/unattended voting and provides “standards” to be followed on most of the above topics.  These are based on legal views supporting true democracy etc so EAC/NIST should ignore them at their peril IMO.

See http://www.coe.int/t/dgap/democracy/Activities/GGIS/E-voting/Key_Documents/Rec(2004)11_Eng_Evoting_and_Expl_Memo_en.pdf

It’s good that we now have an extension until 30 July to submit our paper as it will give us a bit more time to get our views co-ordinated and a draft paper agreed.   Can I suggest that you all give your views on the question I’ve posed above, ie what is it we should be covering, then David and I will have a telecon to work through all the opinions to date and come up with a further draft paper for your consideration.

John