emergency-adopt-events message

Subject: RE: [emergency-adopt-events] FW: Event Theme Ideas...Part 2

Rex --

As context:  I am a product/vendor person, so I am very careful in how I
discuss products because I do not want to over sell/commit.

I agree the 50ft direction. However, I think you are still missing my
point.

At the point alerts go out, you are demonstrating response, not
preparedness.  When I think preparedness, I think plans, defining
alerts, contact lists, facilities, resources, etc. There are standards
that use this information, but we really don't have standards that help
define, manage and store this information in common format.  So if we
don't have the standards, then we can't demo them.

Maybe its semantics, but it seems a stretch to talk about "Demonstrating
Preparedness .. "  All said, if the rest of the group is ok with the
wording, then move forward.

Regards
Dean

From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 2:56 PM
To: Dean Reese; Jane Harnad; emergency-adopt-events@lists.oasis-open.org

I think you demonstrate preparedness by having prearranged and
coordinated services and plans that have been practiced so that when
an alert is triggered, non-repudiation and confirmation occurs, the
alert is promulgated quickly and correctly, the alerts are clear on
what the emergency incident is and what the affected public should
do, as well as getting the appropriate, prearranged and practiced
response services into play quickly and efficiently. We can't claim
to have solved all the problems, but we can claim to be working on
the solutions.

Of course there is the issue of getting the appropriate level of
incident command into place quickly and efficiently, and we need to
do our work so that we can help get the inter-governmental lines of
communication open. This is one way to do that.

I am hoping that, even though it will not take place until September,
this will be the start of an ongoing series of events that are
regularly scheduled and that local pilots are funded so that we can
get this kind of coordinated preparedness into operationality by
having regularly scheduled exercises that introduce more and more
standards in practice and begin winning over the rank and file of
local fire and police departments and local CERT teams.

Such pilots can then be rolled out to more and more localities and
the pilots replicated reliably. We have tons of things that need to
be done, and while showcases are needed, I think they need to
directly connect the notion of preparedness to actual action.
Standards have to adopted as a matter of course to be effective.

Basically, we can't demonstrate that we have the kind of preparedness
we want, only that we are determined to create the environment in
which the kind of preparedness we want is unavoidable.

Wow, someone get me off the soapbox before I fall!

Cheers,
Rex

At 1:58 PM -0400 6/2/09, Dean Reese wrote:
>All -
>

>I will go again go back to my concern with B.
>
>"Demonstrating Emergency Preparedness and Response Coordination through
>Open Data Standards"
>
>Demonstrating "Response Coordination" it straight forward. How do you
>propose demonstrating Preparedness. Unless it can be clearly
>demonstrated - I think it sets the wrong expectation.
>

>Regards
>Dean
>

>  Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Services"

>>B.) "Demonstrating Emergency Preparedness and Response Coordination
>through
>>Open Data Standards"
>>
>>C.) "Demonstrating Effective Response Solutions"
>>

>>Original Theme Ideas:
>>
>>Emergency Management Interoperability Conference
>>"Keeping the Communication Lines Open"
>>
>>EM 2009: Interoperability Conference
>>"Horizontal & Vertical Industry Preparedness"
>  >
>>Interactive Emergency Management Technology Conference &
Demonstrations