emergency-adopt message

Subject: Re: [emergency] [emergency-adopt-events] Emergency Interoperability Summit -- final details...

--- On Fri, 7/17/09, tferrentino@verizon.net <tferrentino@verizon.net> wrote:

From: tferrentino@verizon.net <tferrentino@verizon.net>
To: emergency@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: Friday, July 17, 2009, 9:56 AM

Dear EM Event Sub-Committee Members,

I had a great call with NIEM staff yesterday!  They are all very excited
about hosting our Summit in Baltimore.  Below are the details of our
conversation.  Please review all the information and let me know if you have
any question and/or concerns.

BTW:  Dean & Tom, do you want to pass this information along this
information to the other two committees?  Also, do you think we should
invite them to attend our meeting tomorrow to discuss the below?  Please let
me know.

Kind regards, Jane

MEETING SPACE REQUIREMENTS...
The following meeting space has been confirmed for our portion of the event
(free of charge).  A map of the hotel is attached.

Tuesday, 29 September - 8:00 AM-1:00 PM
Emergency Management Technical Committee Meeting
> Key Ballroom Section 4, U-shape or boardroom for 40 people

Tuesday, 29 September - 1:00 PM-5:00 PM
Emergency Interoperability Summit Workshop
> Key Ballroom Section 3, Schoolroom for 75 people

Tuesday, 29 September - 1:00 PM-5:00 PM
Emergency Interoperability Summit Demonstration Room --- set-up & rehearsal
> Key Ballroom 5 & 6, Space for both interoperability demonstrations and
presentations (theater for 75-100 people)

Wednesday, 30 September - 8:00 AM-6:00 PM
Emergency Interoperability Summit Demonstration Room
> Key Ballroom 5 & 6, Space for both interoperability demonstrations and
presentations (theater for 75-100 people)

Thursday, 1 October - 8:00 AM-6:00 PM
Emergency Interoperability Summit Demonstration Room
> Key Ballroom 5 & 6, Space for both interoperability demonstrations and
presentations (theater for 75-100 people)

PLACEMENT WITHIN THE NIEM SCHEDULE...

In order for NIEM to provide OASIS with the above space (free of charge),
our Summit would need to be listed as "part" of their event.  NIEM is
evaluating their schedule now to accommodate our Summit track.  They
discussed potentially dropping one of their planned tracks to accommodate
our portion. More details on this will follow from NIEM.  In any event, our
portion would be labeled as the OASIS "Emergency Interoperability Summit"
track - within the NIEM Training Event.

If we decide to decline their offer to be an "official part" of their
program, they would help us contract with the hotel to secure the meeting
space separately. Unfortunately, the space would no longer be free of
charge.  I strongly believe we should take them up on their offer - even if
it affects some of our previously discussed issues, like registration (see
more details below.).  The visibility and financial benefits will certainly
out way any other issue.

PROGRAM CONTENT...

I addressed our concerns about competing against the other six NIEM tracks.
They agreed to work with us to be sure everyone receives the same amount of
visibility.  They also are considering dropping one of their planned tracks
to accommodate our track.  NIEM suggested that we review their current
schedule to see where our presentations might make the most sense.  I've
taken another look at their schedule, highlighted their EM-related sessions,
and reworked our "working" schedule with additional presentation time.  A
new version of the schedule is attached.

REGISTRATION...

As mentioned above, our track would now be part of their event.  Our
attendees would have access to all the sessions (Wed-Fri), food & beverage,
and materials.  Our attendees would also be subject to the NIEM registration
fees, which include -- $195 for government employees and $395 for others (a
very reasonable pricing structure).  Registration would be done directly
through their event website and coordinated by their team.  Reports would be
made available to us upon request.

One exception would be our Tuesday workshop, which still would be free of
charge.  NIEM reformatted their Tuesday schedule and now only will be
offering an afternoon Executive Briefing Workshop (which would also be free
of charge).

INTEROPERABILITY DEMONSTRATIONS...

In accordance with our OASIS Interoperability Demonstration policy, Dee and
I have drafted a document outlining the rules and benefits of our EI Summit
demonstrations.  Please review this document, as well as the online policy
-- http://www.oasis-open.org/who/interop_demo_policy.php . As mentioned
earlier, we have several companies eager to receive this information.
Please let us know if you have any comments on the attached -- no later than
Monday, 20 July.