emergency-adopt message

Subject: Libraries For The EDXL Family of Standards

All-

I have completed the MITRE Technology Transition Process for our EDXL libraries and they will be through the public release process shortly.  We are calling the external project “EDXL Sharp”.  The libraries will be Free & Open Source (FOSS) and will be licensed under the Apache 2.0 Public License (http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0).  Apache was chosen over the GNU GPL as it allows for linking from code under a different license…i.e. vendors are free to use these libraries in a commercial product.

These libraries are written in C# and are designed to run on .NET Framework 3.5.  The code will be hosted on CodePlex (http://edxlsharp.codeplex.com/).  All released code has been thoroughly unit tested and is designed to allow for generation, ingestion, validation, and conformance testing of EDXL messages.  I’m sure there will be bugs and I’ll be readily available to make updates / bug fixes on a regular basis.

FAQ:

·         Why did you choose .NET / C# / Visual Studio?  I am actually a Windows, Linux, and KDE C++ developer.  When I decided to switch from the unmanaged to the managed world I preferred C# because I felt it was more C-like.  If you like Java/Python/Perl/Ruby/Fortran/Basic/Assembly/Pascal/… better; Please port my code into your favorite OOD language.  I’m sure it won’t be too hard! J

·         But Java/Eclipse/… are free?!?  Actually so is Visual Studio!  Go download it here http://www.microsoft.com/express/; Like many IDEs, the free version can’t do some of the “fancy” stuff but it will be more than adequate for most folks.  The .NET CLR is a free download, and provides a nice all-in-one package for doing managed coding.

·         What if I just want to use the libraries?  We will be running triggered build for both x86 and x64 architectures as both vanilla dll files and an MSI installer that you can download.  These releases will be digitally signed.

·         I don’t understand why you did X.  Please feel free to email me any questions or post an item on the discussion board.

·         Why don’t you have feature X?  Please feel free to email me, post your idea on the issue tracker, or even better write the code to do it and add it to the project ;-).

·         I think I found a bug.  Please email me the stack trace (if applicable) along with any exception information, as well as what you were trying to do and sample xml.

·         Will there be documentation?  Yes…Our source code is thoroughly commented using the XML comment scheme compiled with SandCastle which means we will have both CHM files and hosted web content that match the layout of MSDN

Version 1.0 will include the following:

  1. Library for CAP v1.2
  2. Library for Common Types across the EDXL Standards
  3. Library for EDXL DE v1.0

Our next version will include:

  1. Library for EDXL-HAVE v1.0
  2. Library for EDXL-RM v1.0
  3. GUI EDXL-DE Test Tool
  4. Library for GeoOASIS Where GML Profile
  5. Library for EDXL xPIL Profile
  6. Beta Library for EDXL-SitRep
  7. Beta Library for EDXL-TEP

Version 1.0 is in the public release process and will be released in the next 30 days.

Our next version is currently in unit testing and should be released in the next 60-90 days

Don McGarry

The MITRE Corp.

Office: 315-838-2669

Cell: 703-595-9375 NEW