emergency-adoption message

Subject: RE: [emergency-adoption] Groups - Initial Adoption sub-committeeCharter v2 (EM Adoption TC Charter-DRAFT-20090119v2.docx) modified

Hi Patrick, Tom,

I can answer to an extent since some of these were suggestions I made
and Tom, Elysa and I discussed.

It might be better to clarify the first bullet you referred to so it
would read something like this:
Work with the Emergency Interoperability (EI) Member Section (and
EIC?) to develop a library of Documents, Webcasts Webinars, And Demos
about the value, implementation and best practices of long-term,
persistent, Emergency Management Standards.

My intent was to create a close collaboration with the EI Member
Section, to which we might add the EIC, now that I think about it. I
wasn't referring to other Member Sections, though it might be wise to
look at what other Member Sections have done.

Now that I think about it, I would like to see this TC develop and
expand relations with vendors AND, if possible, to start an
educational campaign aimed at local EM agencies at the city and
county level.

In the second bullet you refer to, I thought of support as developing
a set of protocols, perhaps working with DHS and NIST (Commerce) for
conducting regular, low-level (city-county level perhaps looking for
ways to help cities and counties to qualify for UASI and SUASI
program funding) training exercises using CAP and EDXL Standards.
NIMS Support Center is already tasked with certification
responsibilities, and we can support that without having to dedicate
a lot of energy to it.

For myself, I wasn't referring to certification testing. The testing
I would like to see is the use of modeling and simulation, so my use
of the term testing means regular testing to develop drills that
trainEM agencies communications centers and first responders to use
new standards, hopefully written into the software that supports
their communications systems (beyond mere P-25 radios per se). This
means exercise testing at regular, much more frequent intervals than
"once-a-year grand showcases."

I think Tom can attest that such a program is needed in order to make
adoption of standards a seamless process. All local police and fire
agencies conduct training exercises and use some kind of training
academies. We can work with those systems in initial pilot programs.

We also need to work with whomever in the federal government can push
an educational program using University and advanced credit High
School students to develop the local documentation and publication of
organization charts for EM-Public Safety agencies which we need to
drive the broad uptake of EDXL-DE, and the rest of the EDXL family.
The administration's education and stimulus efforts could both be
leveraged such that students could pay their tuition and books with
such work. (I'm quoting an associate here, since I was too dense to
think of this myself :-D )

I think that once vendors see this as an opportunity to sell their
newly standard-reinforced products into these existing systems, they
will get vitally interested. They will also need to hire new software
engineers, so we can pitch this an effective stimulus program.

Cheers,
Rex