emergency-adoption message

Subject: FW: Proposal for Emergency Management Forum in Fall of 2009

Hello Everyone - as an FYI only...

Below are a few notes I passed along to the Emergency Management Member
Section - on an Emergency Management event proposal.  Thanks, Jane

From: Jane Harnad [mailto:jane.harnad@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 2:43 PM
To: 'emergency-sc@lists.oasis-open.org'

Hello Everyone,

Below are a few notes on a proposed fall workshop from the Emergency
Management Adoption Committee call this past Friday.  Please review and pass
along any feedback.  Regards, Jane

Emergency Management 2009 Forum Proposal...

Organizers/Host - Hosted by "TBD"; organized by OASIS and the OASIS
Emergency Management Member Section.

Date - September 21-22 was proposed.  This date would make sure the event is
far enough away from competing event such as:  NEMA and IAEM, as well as the
proposed OASIS Security event at NIST (week of September 27th).

Location - It would be ideal to have an OASIS member organization host the
event to save costs - such as DHS.  If that scenario doesn't work out, we
would look into renting space at an area hotel in Crystal City.  Crystal
City is a good option because it's close to the metro and area airport, as
well as can be much cheaper than renting space in downtown DC.  The
committee did want us to look in to reserving space at one of the DHS
facilities -- and was curious as which facility location might be an option.
Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Another option might be to hold an Emergency Management forum in conjunction
with the OASIS Security event at NIST the week of September 27th.  Space
would be limited if held at NIST, so we might want to consider this in
addition to - instead of in lieu of.

Format - A two-day forum featuring presentations from all our Emergency
Management technical committees, as well as an interOp demonstration
component.   The Committee mentioned that it would be preferred to have the
interOp demonstrations weaved into the overall program schedule - rather
than having it as a competing component.

Who Should Attend?  It was mentioned that invitations should be sent to DHS,
DOT, DOD and other related agencies - as well as Congressional
Representatives.  The thought was that we should expect between 150-250
guests; however, space at a facility may dictate a different number.

Registration - If the event is held at DHS, we believe it will be a free
event.  This might change if we move to a hotel or outsource venue, where
additional costs will be associated.  This will ultimately be determined
when we decide on a location.  Funding will need to be determined at that
time (via registration fees, sponsorship fees, member section funding,
etc..).