emergency-cap-profiles message

Subject: OGC Definition of Profiles

Hi Folks,

I have been continuing my research into how various groups have
defined profiles, and I am copying here a section from the Open
Geospatial Consortium Geography Markup Language GML 3.1. I'm not
suggesting anything at this point. I'm just sharing my research. If
anyone actually has access to technical report "ISO/IEC TR
10000-1:1998 Information technology - Framework and taxonomy of
International Standardized Profiles - Part 1: General principles and
documentation framework" and can look at it, that might be helpful.

I turned to OGC because I recalled Dr. Carl Reed mentioning that they
had a definition for their use of "Profile," and I wanted to check it
out.

Cheers,
Rex

22 Profiles

22.1 Profiles of GML and application schemas
GML is a complex specification that is richly expressive. In general,
an application need not exploit the entire specification, but may
employ a subset of constructs corresponding to specific relevant
requirements.

Quoting from technical report "ISO/IEC TR 10000-1:1998 Information
technology - Framework and taxonomy of International Standardized
Profiles - Part 1: General principles and documentation framework",
we use this definition of a profile:

Profile: A set of one or more base standards and/or [profiles], and,
where applicable, the identification of chosen classes [(types,
attributes and elements)], conforming subsets, options and parameters
of those base standards, or [profiles] necessary to accomplish a
particular function.

Of course, this was defined for an OSI architecture model, so we must
translate 'class' to 'types, attributes and elements' to apply this
definition to XML Schema. There are several ways to implements this,
and GML profiles uses a "copy and delete" approach. To create a
profile, a developer might copy the applicable schema files from GML
and simply delete any global types, elements and local optional
particles that she does not need for her application schema.

22.2 Definition of Profile

A profile of GML can be defined to enhance interoperability and to
curtail ambiguity by allowing only a specific subset of GML.
Application schemas can then conform to such a profile in order to
take advantage of any interoperability or performance advantages that
it offers in comparison with a complete GML. Such profiles can be
defined for application schemas that are included in other OGC
specifications.

There are cases where reduced functionality is acceptable, or where
processing requirements compel use of a logical subset of GML. For
example, applications that do not need to handle XLink attributes in
any form can adhere to a specific profile that excludes them; the
constraint in this case would be to not use links. Other cases might
include defining constraints on the level of nesting allowed inside
tags (i.e. tree depth), or only allowing features with homogeneous
properties as members of a feature collection. In many cases, such
constraints can be enforced via new schemas; others may be enforced
through procedural agreements within an information community.
--
Rex Brooks
President, CEO