emergency-cap message

Subject: Re: [emergency-cap] CAP survey

Hi Jacob / All -

Just on first reading the survey strikes me as possibly a bit narrow in scope, and some of the questions as perhaps a bit leading.

Might it make sense to ask some more general questions, e.g., "If you're using CAP, what aspects of it do you find most challenging or confusing?  If not, what aspects of CAP are holding you back?"  We want to beware of driving respondents in particular directions by selective phrasing in the questions.

As regards parameter and resource, in particular, I can imagine that not a few warning originators might be using CAP-based tools but have no real idea which features of CAP are being used or for what.  So for them perhaps a more function-oriented question would be more meaningful, e.g., "Is there special information (data, images, maps, etc.) that you currently attach to CAP alerts, or that you'd like to attach if you could?"

Indeed, it might be that entirely separate surveys would be warranted, one for end-users (warning originators) and another for CAP-based software developers.  Unfortunately, alert originators frequently have very limited understanding of the mechanics of CAP, while many developers have only a superficial grasp of the practicalities of warning practice.  It's not an easy bridge to build.

- Art