emergency-cap message

Subject: Re: [emergency-cap] CAP Issue 23 - Specify JSON serialization

Surprised to hear that from you, Eliot.  My intent was quite the opposite, that the question of serializations should be held orthogonal to that of the data structure.  My impression was that you and I had been in agreement on that for many years.

Would you likewise argue that the ASN.1 serialization should be considered somehow lesser than the XML?  Not sure what the ramifications of that might be.  And  of course JSON is already in use in a number of CAP projects, whereas personally I've yet to encounter a real-world ASN.1 CAP implementation.

Particularly now that we're well on the way to a digital signature standard for JSON (see <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-jose-json-web-signature-36>) I think we'd be well advised to be making a visible effort to keep up with the times.  In fact I could see us making something of a PR splash on the theme of how CAP now supports JSON... in line with the OASIS strategy as described at <https://www.oasis-open.org/resources/topics/rest-json>.  Us oldsters might not get it, but the younger generation definitely would.

Indeed, among the younger programmers I've talked with lately XML is described as the COBOL of data serialization... a significant legacy platform that's not going away anytime soon, but not a technology folks are flocking to anymore.

- Art