emergency-cap message

Subject: RE: [emergency-cap] Groups - CAP SC Meeting Notes 10-14-16 uploaded

Hi all,

I’m sick today, so I won’t be in attendance. Can I be excused regarding my attendance, since I think I’m on the edge of maintaining my voting status?

I saw an email the other day saying that I had an action to send the info on the classification scheme. Here it is again (see below), in case some missed it.

Thanks, David

DAVID ASKOV | PACIFIC DISASTER CENTER 808.891.7937 | daskov@pdc.org

From: David Askov
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2016 12:59
To: Jacob Westfall <jake@jpw.biz>; emergency-cap@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Eliot Christian (eliot.j.christian@gmail.com) <eliot.j.christian@gmail.com>

Hi everyone,

Here is a screenshot of the Hazard classification system that I mentioned. On the previous slide (not shown), there are other categories for non-Hazard data (e.g.: base map, political, infrastructure), and then Hazards are broken down into “Natural Hazards” and “Human or Environmental Hazards”. The Natural Hazards are broken down as follows.

This was done by PDC and USGS in conjunction with PRiMO (Pacific Risk Management `Ohana) back in 2005. Obviously, one could tinker with this (e.g.: put tsunami under seismic), but I just present this as a way of starting the conversation about structuring our Hazard lists. Note that beyond just severe weather, you might want to add some winter weather hazard types that people in Hawaii didn’t think to include!

As a reminder, the upcoming meeting is on a US holiday (Veteran’s Day is 11 Nov). The following meeting (25 Nov) is the day after the US Thanksgiving holiday, so many Americans (including me) also take Friday off of work.