emergency-cap message

Subject: Fwd: Re: [emergency-cap] Groups - CAP SC Meeting Notes 12-16-16 uploaded

Forwarding this to the list.

Rex

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 09:27:16 -0500
From: Eliot Christian <eliot.j.christian@gmail.com>
To: Jacob Westfall <jake@jpw.biz>, David Askov <daskov@pdc.org>, Elysa Jones <elysajones@yahoo.com>, Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com>, Mike Gerber <mike.gerber@noaa.gov>, Paulsen, Norm (EC/EC) <norm.paulsen@canada.ca>, Nuwan Waidyanatha <waidyanatha@gmail.com>
CC: Omar Abou-Samra <Omar.Abou-Samra@redcross.org>

The minutes of the December 16 meeting note that the updated CAP Practices Guide will state:

In that vein, I offer to the OASIS TC/ CAP Subcommittee for discussion the document stored here. This list of event terms was developed by aggregating some existing lists, and with input from Omar Abou-Samra of the IFRC/GDPC.

You will notice that this list intends some alignment with SAME (Specific Area Message Encoding) codes for "message type". SAME codes seem to be fairly widely used, including within some countries other than the U.S (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Philippines). Also, I assume SAME codes are difficult to change given that they are programmed into hardware such as NOAA Weather Radios.

As Norm and others have remarked, CAP would not use that part of a SAME message type term that indicates relative priority  (e.g., "statement", ":advisory", "watch", "warning"). This is because a CAP message indicates relative priority through assignment of values in three mandatory CAP elements (i.e., "Urgency", "Severity", "Certainty").

Even as I offer this, I urge that we strive for a smaller set of event terms, perhaps not to exceed 100 terms?

Also, a CAP suggestion for event terms needs to be more even in the degree to which each term is distinct from the other terms. For example, in this list of event terms there is only one term in the broad realm of food security (Food Contamination), yet there are five terms for freezing water (Freezing Drizzle, Freezing Fog, Freezing Rain, Freezing Spray).

Eliot