emergency-cap message

Subject: Reminder: Meeting Tomorrow

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to send out a reminder that we have our regularly scheduled meeting tomorrow, and I have a agenda item I'd like to add. I received a message from Erica Kuligowski a researcher at NIST "NIST who has been working in the area of alerting and warning for buildings and communities for several years now. I am currently working on a project that focuses on providing guidance to communities on short message alerting – either via WEA or Twitter (since both messages are restricted in character length)." She asked several questions which I'd like to discuss:

1. "...OASIS developed a standard for CAP (version 1.2) in July 2010. Has there been an update of this standard since then?" (I answered this).

2. "... CAP can be used for many different applications/telecom methods. However, there are certainly character limitations, for example, if one was to use CAP for WEAs vs. NOAA WR or EAS warnings. Is there any special guidance or information for alert originators when using CAP for WEA?"

3. "... now that the FCC has released new regulations expanding WEA character lengths to 360 characters (for 4G-LTE and future networks), how would the CAP standard, its elements/sub-elements, or at least the templates for WEA change (if at all)?"

4. "... where in the CAP parameters would message providers (or alert originators) be able to expand their messages from 90 to 360 characters? Maybe via the “description” (i.e., An extended human readable description of the hazard or event that occasioned this message) or “instruction” (An extended human readable instruction to targeted recipients) elements? Do these elements (or others) offer an opportunity for alert originators to supply free form text?"

We can also discuss if we'd like to invite Erica to join us for a specific discussion about what kind of guidance we might provide through our Practices Guide.

Cheers,
Rex

--
Rex Brooks