emergency-cap message

Subject: OASIS EM CAP terms list - location, structure, process

The following is my description of the CAP Event Terms list and the process we employed to create the it.

I will not be on the May 17 CAP call.  I am in Cancun with limited access to technology (tech, water, and sand don’t mix well)

-Scott

The CAP Terms list can be viewed and comments added by anybody using this link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n5hvh7S9jCqyhmr6acP0FBHq4a9O2MBlxg39J6_eUoQ/edit?usp=sharing

** I have this link set so that users can view & “comment” (suggest changes).  I can make it view-only or full edit.  QUESTION: leave it as view & comment?**

The structure of CAP Terms is:

Columns

Content

Event Term: The individual terms.

  • “<local term>” is a place holder for any locally defined term not otherwise included in the CAP Term list

Grouping Term: associating individual terms.

  • Individual terms are often part of a group of similar terms.  The Grouping Term provides this association. For example, the different categories of hurricane are all included in the Grouping Term of “hurricane”, or “CATn hurricane” is a “hurricane”.
  • Note that each Grouping Term is also in the Event Term.  For example, the Grouping Term “hurricane” is present in the Event Term column.
  • A Grouping Term in the Event Term list may have a “higher order” Grouping Term.  For example, “hurricane” as an Event Term has a Grouping Term of “tropical storm”, along with “tropical cyclone” and other similar Event Terms.  Thus “hurricane” and “tropical cyclone” are “tropical storms”.
  • In theory, the hierarchy of groups has no bound.  The current Term List has, at most, 3 levels of grouping:  “CATn hurricane” is a “hurricane” is a “tropical storm” is a “weather” event

C – I

These columns show mapping to other event term lists which where included in the development of the CAP Terms list

  • Other events in other lists which did not “map” to the Event Terms were included as “mapped” to “<local term>”

C – F

New Zealand terms mapped to the CAP Term List.  Note that NZ Tier II events and NZ Tier I events have the same relationship as Event Term and Grouping Term.

EUMETNET terms

“<another group>” is a blank column if another event list is added and mapped to the CAP Event Terms list.  Best practice is to duplicate this column so that there will be a blank column for another event list.

WMO terms

J – L

Working area for developing a normalized set of Event Codes / Event Terms / Scale.  This is work in progress

M – O

Working area for the “manager” of the CAP Event Terms list.  Currently that is Scott M. Robertson (scott.m.robertson@kp.org).

The Development of CAP Event Terms list.

  1. This work began with the list of event terms from the last published CAP standard.  This included many grouping terms.
  2. Other event term lists (e.g., NZ Event Terms, WMO) were added to the working list.
  3. The working list was sorted by grouper term
  4. The working list was reviewed.  A pass over grouping terms, then a pass on event terms.  For each term:
    1. Is it an “event”?  If not, it was edited to be an “event”.  (recall, even grouper terms are events)
    2. Does the event duplicate another event.  It so, either delete one event or alter one to make two distinct event terms.
    3. Does the event imply other events – are those events included.  If not, add implied terms to the list
  5. The grouper terms were added to the event terms (preserving any event-grouper relationships) to create a larger list.  This larger list then contained a column of “event” plus “grouper” terms and a second column with the “groupers” for the “events”.
  6. The column of “event” plus “grouper” terms was reduced to just unique terms (it was de-duplicated).  The relationship to prior “grouper” terms was preserved.
  7. A final review
    1. Consistent structure for graded terms (e.g., “CATn hurricane”, “EFn tornado”)
    2. Looking for logical groups of terms that don’t have the same grouper (e.g., various tropical storms that were not all grouped by “tropical storm”).  Resolving this required either changing the grouper term on some events, or creating new grouper terms.
    3. Looking for logical inconsistencies (e.g., “air hazard” is grouped under “aviation”, but some “air hazards”, like “air stagnation” can also be “health hazards.”  Resolved where possible, but some events can be under two or more groups.  We elected not to include multiple groupers.
    4. Editorial fixes.
  8. The other event term lists were re-mapped to the new list.  Creating the new CAP Event Terms list.

Scott M Robertson

Principal Technology Consultant

PharmD, RPh, FHL7, GISP, CISSP

Kaiser Permanente
Technology Risk Office | Health IT Strategy & Policy
310-200-0231 (office)

tro.kp.org

kp.org/thrive

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT:  If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or saving them.  Thank you.