emergency-cap message

Subject: Re: New directive EU) 2022/2557 of the European Parlament may completely change the aim of protecting Critical Infrastructures

Greetings Dario,

I am including the OASIS Admin and the EM CAP Subcommittee on this so that we can get more eyes and brains looking at this, especially those with operational knowledge and use of CAP under various categories.

To the extent that Critical Entities are defined and the various and possibly different geographical locations/areas are likewise defined and can be included in the CAP message yes, it is possible and has been foreseen. However, I think it is probably wiser to have the Critical Entities define their systems and subsystems in a way that makes it easier to group them logically for separate specific CAP Alerts that can be issued for all subsystems and populations affected in an effective way.

However, keeping track of all the resources and expertises required for the situation should use EDXL-Resource Messaging and EDXL-SitRep in addition to EDXL-CAP.

The more we can think our way through these expanded requirements, the better we can meet those requirements.

As I have suggested both to you about this project and to the OASIS EMTC and EM Member Section Steering Committee--where we can get our limited funding proposed and approved--I think the most important consideration is to get the definitions of Critical Entities agreed to so that we're all working from the same page.

Thanks for informing me of this, Dario.

Cheers,
Rex Brooks