emergency-gis message

Subject: Symbology standards and the OASIS EM TC

At 08:29 PM 8/5/2003 -0700, Bill Schroeder wrote:
>[...]
>I think this is a real issue/problem/opportunity.  In my opinion
>the problem is one of those that is in need of a champion and more
>importantly one with $ to staff and work the symbol interoperability
>effort.

Yes, resources for additional standards work is one central issue.

The other issue is to get a clear statement of exactly what standards
work not already underway could be/should be done by the OASIS EM TC.

We have heard interest in standardization of specific sets of symbols.
It has been noted that FGDC is doing work in that area, as are some
agencies. We also heard interest in stronger Federal coordination
among the various agencies and groups that are dealing with symbols
pertinent to emergency management. To me, this seems something that
would be best approached by working through the FGDC.

We have also heard interest in how to specify symbols as part of a
style when displaying a map. OGC developed a standard called Style
Descriptor Language. Carl Reed also points out that OGC is working
on symbology metadata and on handling libraries of symbols.

Allen has asked for a summary of areas of collaboration and vision.
Personally, I would sharpen that request to ask for a statement
of requirements addressing whatever additional standards work is
felt to be needed with regard to symbology for emergency management.

We cannot really begin to muster resources until we have an agreed
statement of what standards work is envisioned. Perhaps Bill or Carl
may be willing to do a first draft of such a requirements statement?

Eliot