emergency-gis message

Subject: Re: [emergency-gis] Groups - Point of Interest Discussion Doc (EDXL-POI Discussion Paper DA100216.doc) uploaded

Doug et. al.

Yes, we will discuss this requirement in Friday's teleconference.
Hopefully Skype works well from my hotel in the UK!

Anyway, please note the following definition as defined and used in an OGC
standard:

4.9	Point of Interest (POI)
A location (with a fixed position) where one can find a place, product or
service, typically identified by name rather than by address and
characterized by type, which may be used as a reference point or a target
in a location based service request, e.g., as the destination of a route.

This definition is based on consensus from a number of content providers
(TeleAtlas, NavTec, Microsoft, ESRI and so forth) and related location
services technology providers. POIs are often maintained in gazetteers.

This definition is also based on other standards.

Cheers

Carl