emergency-gis message

Subject: Re: [emergency-gis] Groups - Point of Interest Discussion Doc (EDXL-POI Discussion Paper DA100216.doc) uploaded

Doug -

I spent a little more time looking at the document on the EDXL-POI
requirements. Apologies if the call last Friday was a bit overwhelming in
terms of feedback!

Anyway, some thoughts:

1. What is really being described is an event related to a POI - not the
actual physical point of interest. I suggest this because you have
incorporated requirements related to time dependent elements, such as speed.
Changing the name from "POI" would disambiguate the term and not cause
confusion with how POI is used in the telematics and mapping communities.

2. All of the location elements could easily be served by using the Location
Object standard developed by the Internet standards community (IETF). This
includes a GML application schema for all of the GIS type elements (termed
geodetic). These internet RFCs (4119, 5139) and the related OGC document GML
PIDF-LO Geometry Shape Application Schema for use in the IETF meet and
exceed all of the requirements. They would also map nicely to GeoRSS. Very
importantly, PIDF-LO (as this internet standard is known) is a mandatory
must implement standard for the Next Generation 911 platform in the US - and
would also suspect for Canada. NENA reviewed and endorsed this standard.
This also fits with the plan we have been discussing in the GIS SC for CAP
2.0 supporting a richer set of geometries. I still owe the group the final
requirements document.

3. For the moving object elements, the OGC has just defined a new GML
profile which is to be presented next week at the OGC meetings for approval
for public release.

4. As to certainty, I would look to what the OGC and the IETF are doing in
this regard.

My thinking is to leverage existing International standards that will see
broad deployment. Further, any discussion of security, authentication and so
forth simply muddies the water. A message such as you are describing exists
in some IT framework. That framework would take care of all of the security
and authorization issues. For example, GeoRSS is agnostic to any security
mechanisms. GeoRSS can be used in any environment (and is)  from totally
open to classified (such as in some intel network).

Hope this helps.

Carl