emergency-if message

Subject: RE: [emergency-msg] RE: [emergency-if] EDXL-AT & Situational Awareness

Re: "As I see it, the practitioners/SMEs do know their area best - I do
not believe that will change - we should recognize this and work with
the practitioners to leverage their domain expertise."

I am in complete agreement. We can't do what we do without the SMEs.
O.K. maybe we could, but it wouldn't be any good and it would never be
accepted by the stakeholder community.

IMHO,

Patti

Patti Iles Aymond, PhD
Senior Scientist, Research & Development
Innovative Emergency Management, Inc.
Managing Risk in a Complex World

8555 United Plaza Blvd.   Suite 100
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
(225) 952-8228 (phone)
(225) 952-8122 (fax)

-----Original Message-----
From: Sukumar Dwarkanath [mailto:sdwarkanath@comcare.org]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 1:05 PM
To: Timothy Grapes; Rex Brooks; tgrapes@evotechinc.com;
emergency-msg@lists.oasis-open.org; emergency-if@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [emergency-msg] RE: [emergency-if] EDXL-AT & Situational
Awareness

>> EDXL-HAVE, in my opinion, proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that
accepting >>candidate specifications by groups of SMEs is almost always
a mistake. SMEs rarely >>fully understand how broad, yet rigorous, the
specification-writing process needs to be.

>> We have now had to PAINFULLY deal with the consequences of being
persuaded that >>the SMEs know their area best and that means they are
the best group to write a >>specification for that area, instead of
carefully working through a rigorous requirements-writing process.

Rex:

I am not sure how you characterize a candidate specification but
EDXL-HAVE was submitted in the format that the EM TC requested - as a
requirements specification - and not as a candidate specification.

As I see it, the practitioners/SMEs do know their area best - I do not
believe that will change - we should recognize this and work with the
practitioners to leverage their domain expertise.

Sukumar

IEM CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION PLEASE READ OUR NOTICE:
http://www.iem.com/e_mail_confidentiality_notice.html