emergency-if message

Subject: RE: [emergency-if] Multiple Content Object REF

Carl-

So if I have a GML XML Object and want to reference a jpeg image that is carried in the WCS 2.0 payload how exactly is it referenced?

Thanks!

-Don

Office: 315-838-2669

Cell: 315-383-1197

dmcgarry@mitre.org

From: Carl Reed [mailto:creed@opengeospatial.org]
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2010 8:16 PM
To: McGarry, Donald P.; emergency-if@lists.oasis-open.org

Don -

Now this is an interesting question. Related (but not identical), the OGC Members just completed a new revision to the OGC Web Coverage Service (WCS). A key aspect of the work was to move the standard to a core-extension model. In earlier versions, the binary response encodings were "bundled" with the standard. In WCS 2.0, any binary responses are treated as an extension (separate content encoding). The reason for doing this is that standards documents related to a particular response can evolve at their own pass and new ones can be added at any time without "corrupting" the core or being reliant on any of the other extensions. Extensions can be any image format, such as for GML, NetCDF, GeoTIFF,  JPEG 2000 (with GML extension), GeoPDF, and so forth. Notice the "geo" stuff :-) Below is a diagram.

Anyway, the reason for mentioning this is that as soon as one starts dealing with binary encodings as part of a response payload, life becomes interesting. First, we (OGC) have learned that two separate content objects are required. One has to then deal with reference by URIs (due to file sizes), potential MIME type registration, and so forth. Really gets interesting if the image is georegistered, which in a EM environment may more often be the case than not.

Late Saturday missive.

Carl