Subject: Re: [emergency-msg] About cap:event_cat

Allen -

Last week the SC discussed what we now call <category> at some
length, and Jerry Weltman volunteered to undertake another review of
this vexing topic.  He did so, and his recommendation to this
morning's SC call was that we stick with the existing set of codes
(Option III).

We do have a generic mechanism as well, of course, in the form of
<event>, which permits a free-text description of the event.  (
<category> is intended for computers, <event> for the humans.)

With all its flaws, the current category list represents a consensus
hammered out over a year and a half by 130+ participants in the
Working Group and now ratified, with due caution, by the SC.

- Art