Subject: Re: [emergency-msg] EM TC Notifications, Methods and Messaging09-16-03 Meeting Minutes

Some comments inline...
> Eliot was approached by Peter Ward (very involved in Public Warning)
> of NDS. NDS makes equipment to put digital info in broadcasting
> screens. Very interested in CAP but have some concerns on how to do
> this. Dont see in CAP standard, how to put video/audio in alert
> message. Do CAP but standard doesnt say how to support binary
> information. They cant resolve URI.

If they can't resolve a URI, how do they plan on validating the message
against a schema?

>       * Want to be able to generate organization chart. Question to
>         software vendors: what pieces of info that you will need to
>         recreate the organization chart? Believe we have put in
>         information that is needed by ISVs software companies should
>         review

I am not personally aware of any official or de facto XML standards for
organizational charts, and agree this would be nice. Once in an XML
format, it becomes easy to apply a transformation to create an HTML,
SVG, etc. representation of that - the "org tree" drawing things we have
all come to love and enjoy.

That being said, might I recommend someone who has Visio 2002 create a
simple org and save it in XML format, which is a Visio output option?
Not saying we will use that, but it might provide some insight on how to
best do it. This could, in turn, spawn a bigger question on whether or
not we need to focus a couple of people on the task of really doing some
research and getting back to the ICS team.

>       * Tap into some Vcard standard that already exists? (Art). May
>         have to extend Vcard standard (David)

Ahh, one of the inherit beauties of using XML Schema to define our
schemas (hmmm, that was technically correct, but sounded redundant - oh
well :). You do not need to "extend" it. Just import in the
"Representing vCard Objects in RDF/XML" schema
(http://www.w3.org/TR/vcard-rdf) for the vCard specific stuff and then
define, or import from yet another schema, any other items you need.

>       * Will need to be able to handle an org chart sketch (filled out
>         template)

Maybe a better way to approach this is, "will need a way to enable an
org chart to be show visually rather than in raw XML." For instance, be
able to link in a supplied XSLT transformation that can convert the XML,
depending on the type of request (HTML, SVG, etc.), appropriately.

>               * SC: Anyone can find supporting structure for V-Card
>                 (want to look at existing one before creating one)

http://www.w3.org/TR/vcard-rdf

Sounds like a great meeting! You guys are really touching on some
important topics and architectural (in terms of how to architect, or
design, a good schema) issues. Keep it up!

Allen

--
R. Allen Wyke
Chair, Emergency Management TC