Subject: Re: [emergency-msg] Backward compatibility

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 18:40, Art Botterell wrote:
> At 5:24 PM -0400 10/3/03, R. Allen Wyke wrote:
> >From a system/application design standpoint, the approach of hardcoding
> >the support for a schema in an app is not wise and is very short
> >sighted. It locks you into a single version of a standard, or at least
> >makes it hard to support newer versions, because it means your system
> >must be updated to support the newer versions.
>
> I agree... but some degree of hardcoding is the reality for anyone
> who deploys in firmware... which is to say, for the majority of folks
> deploying consumer devices.  Hopefully most such systems will have
> some provision for updating their receivers, but that's not something
> we get to dictate.

Fair enough, and I agree we need to consider it.

> This was the larger point to my earlier comment about web services.
> Those of us who work in the networked-computer world need to make an
> extra effort to remember the needs of stakeholders in other
> industries.  OASIS is heavily weighted toward the IT industry, but
> CAP in particular has a much wider constituency.  If we don't address
> the needs of folks outside the IT mainstream, we risk forcing them to
> create their own divergent standards.  That would be regrettable and
> counterproductive, and it seems unnecessary.

My only issue, or rather observation, is that if it is in fact important
to "wider constituency", then why are they not on the TC? To some
degree, while we certainly have obligations larger than we each bring,
it is unfair for the paying members to spend more time trying to address
people who do not appear to care enough to participate, rather than
focus on the group that does.
Clearly this is a fine line to walk, and I believe there is a way to do
it gracefully, but I think this is accomplished by 1) being
understanding to their needs in our efforts, but also 2) being honest
with them that to truly address their needs we need their expertise and
contribution on the TC.