Subject: Compliance Tests

Hi Allen,

I was asked by the message and notification subcommittee to draft
this message to you concerning the action item from the TC, as it was
referred to in the msg-sc mtg today, to design or consider what might
be required for a "compliance" test suite for CAP.

To make sure I understood what was meant by "compliance" I went to
the TC page and looked under Action Items, and did not find a
specific item of this name or effect. So I reviewed the minutes, and
also did not find a reference. There was a discussion about the
operational and/or "intent" tests that have already been done, but no
specific mention of what is or was meant by designing or developing
or discovering requirements for CAP "compliance" tests.

One of the reasons why I volunteered to take on the task of writing
this message is that I have some familiarity with a conformance test
suite that has been devised by the Web Services for Remote Portlets
TC. So I, at least, know something, as little as it is, about this
particular topic.

No one was able to really narrow down what was expected for this test
suite. I mentioned that WSRP tested "MUST" assertions In the WSRP TC
a test suite that has been developed by IBM based on the work of the
Conformance Subcommittee, which is its own entity, rather than a part
of another subcommittee.

That's about the extent of what I know, outside of some of the ins
and outs of what is tested for. However, as far as I can tell all it
tests for is if an application conforms to the spec. It does not
"certify" that an application is compliant or conformant. So, insofar
as testing at all is concerned, it is not intended to be cited for
public purposes, at least as far as I know.

My sense of the consensus of the Messages and Notifications SC is
that we do not have enough of an idea of what is needed or wanted in
a compliance test suite. So, we suggest that asking Karl might be the
wisest course of action for a number of reasons.

Not least of these reasons is that there may well be OASIS-wide
policy that bears on the issue or liability concerns over the notion
that a TC might offer formal or informal testing, and what purposes
such testing would serve.

So that is what the Messages and Notifications Subcommittee requests:
Formal guidance from the TC and OASIS on what is needed or requested
in a suite of tests for compliance with CAP. What should be tested,
and to what degree.

Thanks,
W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com