Subject: Re: [emergency-msg] <category> values validated?

Finding the most useful level of abstraction... the most productive
balance between the "lumpers" and the "splitters"... is a trick that
has to be pulled off separately for each distinct application.

Although I think the high-level model we use in CAP is appropriate to
the alerting function, folks wanted a finer-grained scheme for
routing of operational messages.  At the same time, the point wasn't
to try to put every detail of the contained message in the
"wrapper"... rather, we wanted to put in just enough detail to allow
reasonably precise content-based routing decisions.

At some point it does make sense to leave final filtering to the
individual recipient... a routing system that tries to be too precise
eliminates false positives (messages received that aren't of
interest) at the cost of false negatives (messages that should have
been received, but weren't.)  Most folks seem to feel that they'd
rather err on the side of getting too much rather than missing
something important... we're just trying to improve the overall s/n
figure as much as practical.

I should also point out that we created a separate "etiology" element
for the header that allows the sender to categorize the event as
natural / manmade / terrorist / military / under investigation... so
we didn't have to split the event types even finer.

My only point here was that this more detailed model seemed to fit
reasonably well into our higher-level structure... offering anecdotal
evidence for the validity of the CAP <category> taxonomy, and that
more precise schemes aren't necessarily incompatible.

- Art