Subject: Revised Minutes for Aug. 17

Title: Revised Minutes for Aug. 17
Hi Folks,

I'm at least trying to catch up a bit on the various tasks I have had to let slide during my recent bout of equipment failures and immediate deadlines, so here are the minutes as best I could reconstruct them from my scanty notes. I'm still experiencing a bit of trouble, and the recent heat wave has required turning all systems off during the mid afternoons. Okay enough excuses. I need some clarification on a couple of points, namely the NPRM, which I think I identified correctly and the specific response Art made about the NPRM being "presentation layer" in terms of to which group it was made. With some luck I will get to our last meeting before next week's meeting, and be more or less in synch again.

Regards,
Rex

EM-Msg SC Meeting Minutes 8-17-04

The meeting convened at 12:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

Roll:
Art Botterell
Rex Brooks
Rich Carlton
Gary Ham
Walid Ramadan
Carl Reed
Kon Wilms

Visiting OASIS Administrator:
Jamie Clark

This meeting was held the week before the TC was scheduled to nominate and vote for new chair, and was somewhat given over to that topic since Jamie Clark visited and informed us that he would be available the following week to help conduct that election.

Rex said he would not be available for that full TC meeting.

The remainder of the meeting centered around Security Protocol Rules and Section 508 Accessibility implications in a discussion of the re-analysis of security protocols in a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) by the FCC released recently that Rick introduced. Due to intervening scheduling and unexpected equipment failures, the co-chair apologizes for not taking notes complete enough to determine conclusively which of the following two NPRMs was specifically referred to in this discussion:

www.cdt.org/digi_tele/20040809fcc.pdf -- This NPRM was released August 10, 2004 with 75-day comment period and is the most chronologically connected of the thse two Rules. This NPRM is specifically concerned with Law Enforcement and VoIP, with some implications for Section 508 though Section 508 not directly mentioned.

www.cdt.org/digi_tele/20040310fccnprm.pdf -- This NPRM was released March 10, 2004 with 90-day comment period and deals with VoIP in relation to traditional telephony, rather than law enforcement per se and, while accessibility is mentioned, Section 508 is not mentioned.

So, while the co-chair reckons that the former NPRM which basically concerns wiretapping VoIP issues is the one referred to, it is requested that this issue be clarified so that the minutes can be updated, with any further comments.

Jamie was asked to look into OASIS's postion in regard to Section 508 and whether OASIS work needs to be brought into compliance.  The subcommittee also asked that the issue be put on the agenda for the next meeting and that the position of FEMA with regard to compliance should be explored. Specifically, the question was asked: "Should we provide or allow for an XML Presentation Transform for OASIS Standards in general and Emergency Management TC and Messages and Notifications SC standards in particular?"

Rick expressed concern that the implications inherent in this issue raised bandwidth issues.

The meeting adjourned at 12:30 p.m. Eastern Time.
W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com
Tel: 510-849-2309
Fax: By Request