Subject: Re: [emergency-msg] Meeting Minutes 1-17-06

HI Renato,

I appreciate your intent, but I am not quite sure
I adequately explained the current documents from
which we are working. I will get to that
momentarily. First, I want to explain that the
document you found is an adaptation by another TC
of the standard OASIS "Specification" Template.
While that template is helpful for writing
specifications, it was not developed to serve the
needs of a Requirements Document, per se even if
it can be adapted in some circumstances. That is
why I said OASIS does not have its own
Requirements Template. The underlying template
for the document you found is available at
http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/ I, like
many other TC chairs and co chairs, had a hand in
the development over time of this set of
templates, and I will eventually suggest
developing a Requirements Template as well since
my thinking is that this is itself a requirement
for a well-dcoumented specification effort.

That is why we developed our own template.
Unfortunately, it is not a one-size-fits-all
situation for us. A Requirements Document needs
to set forth both the specific point by point
requirements such as the document you found, but,
for the purpose of keeping the
specification-writing effort on track, it needs
to include documented use-cases from which
specific requirements are drawn. That provides
accountability back to the original intent of
writing the specification--a problem when one is
up to one's armpits in alligators and trying to
remember one's intent was to drain the swamp. Bad
analogy considering our misunderstanding of the
ecological functionality of wetlands, however,
apt for the specific situation.

The Requirements Supplement Document I have
attached is the Requirements Document of Record
for this work. It came into being as a result of
a TC decision to provide a template of our own to
the practitioner group from the EIC/DHS/DOJ
community (Emergency Interoperability Consortium,
Dept of Homeland Security, Dept of Justice) which
originally submitted a draft specification. We
spent an entire day going through it point by
point Oct. 19, 2005 at our last face to face
meeting in Washington, D.C.

Now you know. That doesn't mean it should not be
amended to fit any requirements we uncover as we
start in on the specification itself.

Regards,
Rex