Subject: RE: [emergency-msg] Federal XML Guidelines

Based on the this and the previous reference to ebXML as doing the same, we may want to keep Resource in upper camel case and live with the inconsistency until the 2.0 versions of CAP and the DE.  If one or the other were different, we could be too.

How many other standards out there that are NOT using these rules?   Is it a significant group, or are we out on a limb?

R/s
Gary A. Ham
Senior Research Scientist
Battelle Memorial Institute
540-288-5611 (office)
703-869-6241 (cell)
"You would be surprised what you can accomplish when you do not care who gets the credit." - Harry S. Truman

From: Mark Carlson - Conneva, Inc. [mailto:conneva@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 1:09 PM
To: emergency-msg@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Fwd: [emergency-msg] Federal XML Guidelines

More background for our XML element and type naming convention discussion.  (Thanks, Robin).

BTW, the June 2005 Federal XML Guidelines are consistent with regard to element and attribute naming with the April 2002 draft I referenced earlier.

Mark

Federal XML Naming and Design Rules Project

Reference document: Federal XML Naming and Design Rules. Draft Version 2. June 09, 2005. 105 pages.

Extracted text:

lines 1038-1039

[GNR8] The UpperCamelCase (UCC) convention MUST be used for naming elements and types.

lines 1041-1041:

[GNR9] The lowerCamelCase (LCC) convention MUST be used for naming attributes.

lines 1045-1049

4.2.1 Complex Type Names for Complex Data Elements
[CTN1] An xsd:complexType name based on a complex data element MUST be the Dictionary Entry Name with the separators removed and with with the suffix "Type" appended following the upper camel case convention.

lines 989-995

[Note] The use of CamelCase for Dictionary Entry Names has been considered, but has been rejected for following reasons: