Subject: Target areaDefinition.doc

To all,

I apologize for sending the file to the list instead of uploading.  Do not have Kavi access.

What I did was to use our data dictionary structure to refine and describe the use of geo-oasis:where within the RM standard. I also "re-used" Carl's examples. They are excellent.

Based on your feedback, I used all of the possible where choice values.

With my overall goal of simplicity, I also added some rules.  I am not hard over on any of them, but I believe that they need to be specifically discussed.  Otherwise I am afraid that usage confusion due to over-flexibility will prevail. Here are the specifics that I added:
1. The default WGS-84 CRS will be used.
2. The oasisAttributes can be used, but are not part of the standard.  Implementers are not required to understand the attributes, and users of the attributes do so knowing that recipients may not understand them.
3. The circle diameter will be kilometers only, since unit of measure attributes cannot be guaranteed to be understood.
4. For polygons we can use exterior rings only.  (Alternatively, we could change the cardinality of where within Location to allow multiples. Otherwise an interior ring without an exterior ring would just be weird for locating a resource. ("It is located anywhere but here." ) I would easily go along with the change to multiplicity and remove this rule.)

5. For multiple point sets we standardize on posList.  I would also concur with going the other way and only using multiple pos tags, rather than posList, but I think that we should use one and one only of the alternatives.

R/s
Gary A. Ham
Battelle Memorial Institute
External Systems Interoperability Coordinator
Open Platform for Emergency Networks
Disaster Management e-Gov Initiative
Office for Interoperability and Compatibility
Science and Technology
Department of Homeland Security
540-288-5611 (office)
703-869-6241 (cell)
"You would be surprised what you can accomplish when you do not care who gets the credit." - Harry S. Truman

Target areaDefinition.doc