Subject: Re: [emergency-if] Resolution path for gml to move SitReps and DE forward

Tim - and TC

FYI. A few years ago the IETF community defined a GML application schema for encoding geodetic payloads - either in a larger payload such as SIP or by reference. They had a similar discussion regarding how to best use GML to express coordinates. In order to provide some degree of flexibility and to allow consistency with various location sources (cell tower, GPS, assisted GPS and so on), they decided to have the schema support both coordinate encoding styles (pos and posList).

Interesting also that the EMIX TC just had a similar discussion and most likely will also decide to use both approaches.

And for those of you really interested in GML, there will be a public announcement next Tuesday WRT a 30 day public comment period for GML 3.3.

And on the Monday of the September OGC Boulder Technical Committee meetings (we have only one TC), there will be a full day GML 4.0 requirements workshop. This will be an open meeting so anyone with an interest in the evolution of GML can attend and express requirements, issues, etc.

Cheers

Carl

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:19 PM

Folks,

Getting this larger meeting together has proven difficult, so I propose we resolve this in a more expedient way via email, followed by a vote at the upcoming EM-TC meeting.  Jeff Waters gave me a call and we discussed coming to agreement on the critical path items – the GML micro - and once under our belts then moving forward in parallel SC’s with DE 2.0 and SitReps followed by HAVE 2.0.

To our knowledge, the two issues below are the only outstanding ones in critical path.  If others exist, please advise.  But under this assumption, we believe that the revised spec document and new/revised schema posted by Lew Leinenweber today answers both of these issues.  Request that you review that posting, and advise the group if you feel any significant issues are left hanging.  On the EM-TC Tuesday July 5, we propose discussion on this topic and a vote to accept this as the recommended approach at this juncture.  Positive outcome will allow the other efforts to move forward in parallel.

I humbly suggest we all remember two things during this process.  One, that our target audience for these standards drive the need for simplicity, possibly above all other things.  Where the OGC standards are incredible for more intricate applications, our emergency/disaster users need simplicity and ease of implementation.  Secondly, we have a process in place that allows nimble changes to these common components so that further discussions and changes may be addressed as we move forward.

  1. GML Micro
    1. Decide whether to add posList to GMLMicro or change the example
    2. Approve the “wrapper” for edxl-gsf schema (attached) – to choose which component you want to use e.g. a point or a line…

For my part, I will go ahead and re-engage the EDXL-SitRep subcommittee calls following the next TC call so that we can complete final tasks and get it to committee draft.

Thanks everyone,
    Tim

Tim Grapes

Evotec

(703) 304-4829

If I had six hours to cut down a tree, I’d spend four hours sharpening the ax.
-Abraham Lincoln