Subject: Meeting Reminder; EDXL-Reference Information Model & SOAReference Architecture-1

(Note: This is the first of three messages I will be sending out
today relating to our meeting tomorrow. This one makes a point of
describing how EDXL-RIM and the SOA Reference Architecture relate to
each other at approximately the same "Level of Abstraction.")

Hi Folks,

First I want to remind you that we have a meeting scheduled for
tomorrow at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time, and I'm hoping that Dr. Renato
Iannella can join us early in our process and drop in regularly if
not for every meeting, which I doubt any of us will be able to do in
any event. The meeting info, including the correct access code pin
number is on the Kavi EDXL-RIM SC page Calendar.

Second I want to start rolling out some concepts as Lee asked me to
do with respect to the extent of the relationship between EDXL-RIM
and the OASIS Reference Architecture for SOA  (SOA-RA) now in its
first 60-Day Public Review.

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200805/msg00003.html

In this regard there are many similarities, and some stark contrasts.
Frankly, if I attempted to address everything in this message, it
would be much too long and I would end up leaving something out, so I
will start with just a few observations and more reference materials
than you could absorb in a week or perhaps even a month if you had
the time,

But if you download them and stick them in an EDXL-RIM-Related
folder/directory together, they'll be there when or if you want to
review them.

1a-Similarity: Both EDXL-RIM and SOA-RA follow other closely related
specifications. I'm assuming you know the four specifications in the
EDXL-Family that EDXL-RIM follows. SOA RA follows the Reference Model
for SOA, which , like EDXL-DE is an approved OASIS Standard.

The SOA-RA follows the OASIS Reference Model for SOA.

http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/index.php#soa-rmv1.0

1-b Contrast: SOA-RA follows a Reference Model, which is a purely
abstract specification that is not intended to be, and can't be
implemented directly by an application. EDXL-RIM follows a series of
Concrete-Level Specification, which are intended to be implemented
directly.

I will use the example of brick and mortar or steel and glass
architecture as a metaphor or analogy to explain the Abstract
Approach through an example:

The word 'Kitchen' stands for a set of concepts that relate to the
activity of food preparation, delivery and consumption. This sentence
is entirely abstract. It does not specify what parts of food
preparation, delivery and consumption take place in the 'Kitchen.' A
Reference Model starts at this point and establishes the fundamental
concepts, which for a 'Kitchen" might include the need for a way to
cook food with a range-top, firepit, oven, stove, etc. A 'Kitchen'
might need cupboards or a pantry, along with a refrigerator, freezer
or a smokehouse as a means for food preservation and storage. This
set of abstract concepts stemming from food preparation, delivery and
consumption could go on and on.

This is a 'Top-Down' model because it starts at the topmost "Level of
Abstraction." and works its way down a ladder of logic toward the
concrete.

1-c Contrast: EDXL-RIM follows a set of Specifications intended to be
implemented directly with such immediately useful tools as Routing
Applications and Infrastructure using EDXL-DE, Hospital Status
Reporting Applications using EDXL-HAVE and Emergency Response
Logistics Applications using EDXL-RM.

This is a "Bottom-Up' model because it starts at the ground-level or
bottom-most "Level of Abstraction."

Using the 'Kitchen' metaphor/analogy, EDXL-RIM takes a collection of
grills, firepits, stove tops and ovens and 'abstracts' the concept of
"Cooking Equipment and Facilities." EDXL-RIM takes the collection of
'Cooking Equipment and Facilities,' 'Food Preservation and Storage,'
etc and 'abstracts' the concept of a "Kitchen."

2-Similarity: EDXL-RIM and SOA-RA exist at approximately the same
intermediate "Level of Abstraction" between the 'Concrete' and the
'Abstract,' and reflect the level where blueprints are built by
architects betore being handed off to contractors who then actually
buy stoves, ovens, refrigerators, cabinets, counters, sinks,
flooring, etc and construct the 'Kitchen.' (Note 'Kitchen' is just
easier to understand than a whole 'home' which offer even more
chances for getting distracted with "what about doors, windows,
bedrooms, bathroom, etc."

Related References:
SOA-RA:
http://colab.cim3.net/file/work/SOACoP/2006_05_2324/RMetz05232006.ppt